• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Divers and Whoopers (1 Viewer)

saluki

United Kingdom
I was speaking to someone on the phone last night who has constructed, placed and monitored diver rafts for some years. He was complaining about the number of Canada Geese that were using the rafts for their own nests - just that morning he'd been watching a pair of BT Divers on a loch where this was the case. He's considering shooting the geese. If so, would he be breaking the law? I found this on the BASC website:

"From March 1st 2005 it will become possible to control Canada geese outside the main shooting season for the purposes stated on the general licence: “for the purpose of preventing the spread of disease and for preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters” and “for the purpose of preserving public health and safety”. It will not be necessary for individuals to apply for special local licences or to hold copies of the general licences. Anyone shooting listed pest species under general licence must still comply with the relevant terms and conditions".

Obviously, protecting diver rafts isn't covered! So would he be within the law to shoot them?

On a brighter note, he attended a meeting recently to discuss diver rafts. One of the guys there told him he'd found a pair of Whoopers on a hill loch (this is in the last few weeks). I realise a few pairs nest in Scotland every year, does anyone know anything about these pairs - where they nest (obviously I'm not asking for exact locations), in what sort of habitat?

saluki

No he wouldn't be able to shoot the Canadas untill September. However any shooting close by will disturb them and may cause them to move to a quieter area. course the divers may go as well !

CornishExile said:
http://www.wwt.org.uk/pdfs/Waterbird Review Series Whooper Swan.pdf

All about Icelandic Whoopers in the UK.

Other than this general stuff, I don't think it's probably a good idea to put anything in a public forum that could help the wrong sort of people in their search for rare breeders. Sorry!

Jon

Thanks for that Jon, I'll read it tonight. I wasn't suggesting anyone gave me specific sites, just the general habitat eg. small lochans preferred by RT Divers or the larger lochs used by BT Divers. I'm up there next week so hopefully I should see them myself. Thanks again.

saluki

saluki said:
Thanks for that Jon, I'll read it tonight. I wasn't suggesting anyone gave me specific sites, just the general habitat eg. small lochans preferred by RT Divers or the larger lochs used by BT Divers. I'm up there next week so hopefully I should see them myself. Thanks again.

saluki

Sorry Saluki, I wasn't suggesting you were asking for specific sites, just that I wasn't prepared to help in any way the wrong sort of people narrow down a search for a particular breeding species. Mind you, Whoopers are so conspicuous it'd take a more than usually retarded egger to miss one on a freshwater loch.

Good luck next week in seeing them.

Jon

BTW, nice avatar. Looks a bit like my lurcher.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back