• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpen Apex (original) 10x42 (1 Viewer)

justabirdwatcher

I just happened across a very good buy on a well-used pair of Alpen Apex 10x42's, and I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Impressions:

VERY compact for 10x42's, great image quality, no "strange stuff" going on in the view (soft spots, rolling balls, etc.), and I love the locking eyecups. Diopter ajustment is very nicely done as well. It's pretty hard to find fault with these.

Are they alpha-class? Nope. There is slight room for improvement in the image sharpness, contrast and resolution. But they are darn good - good enough for me to just enjoy viewing with no nagging distractions.

Happy to say I can recommend these. If you see some on the used market, don't hesitate if the price is right.

I do not have the 10X but I do have the Apex 12X50 and agree that the Apex is a nice binocular. You get a lot for the price. The center view is very good, the quality seems high and the focus mechanism is very precise (unusually good for a China sourced binocular). About the only thing a more expensive mid priced model will get it maybe a larger center and slightly brighter. Alpen does not seem to enforce fixed pricing so sometimes there are some good deals on this line.

The more I use these, the more I like them. The are just great basic binoculars. Nothing fancy. Nothing strange. Just everything like it should be. Focus wheel is just superb. Great to the touch and great action. Size is perfect. Weight is ideal.

Optics are very good. Not great, but very good. You'd have to pay upwards of $600 to get better.

If someone told me these were my last binoculars ever, I would not be angry.

Compared to my Brunton Epochs, these lack a little in optical quality, but nearly make up for it with size, weight and handling.

Again, very impressed.

I just happened across a very good buy on a well-used pair of Alpen Apex 10x42's, and I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Impressions:

VERY compact for 10x42's, great image quality, no "strange stuff" going on in the view (soft spots, rolling balls, etc.), and I love the locking eyecups. Diopter ajustment is very nicely done as well. It's pretty hard to find fault with these.

Are they alpha-class? Nope. There is slight room for improvement in the image sharpness, contrast and resolution. But they are darn good - good enough for me to just enjoy viewing with no nagging distractions.

Happy to say I can recommend these. If you see some on the used market, don't hesitate if the price is right.

Alpen sells Alpha-class binos at 2/3 the Alpha price.

Bill

The more I use these, the more I like them. The are just great basic binoculars. Nothing fancy. Nothing strange. Just everything like it should be. Focus wheel is just superb. Great to the touch and great action. Size is perfect. Weight is ideal.

Optics are very good. Not great, but very good. You'd have to pay upwards of $600 to get better.

If someone told me these were my last binoculars ever, I would not be angry.

Compared to my Brunton Epochs, these lack a little in optical quality, but nearly make up for it with size, weight and handling.

Again, very impressed.

justabirdwatcher,

When you've been around the forums for a while, you will learn that it's the strange things that make alphas alphas. For example, what would distinguish the SV EL from the run-of-the-mill open bridge roof (whose maker Swaro hasn't threatened to sue) without its harder to turn in one direction focuser, its "rolling ball," its Absam Ring, and its diehard fans that would rather fall on their own swords than admit to any flaws in their bins? ;)

Or Zeiss FL fans who have to center the bird because the optics were designed to optimize center sharpness by making the edges totally out of focus?

Or Leica's hit or miss customer service and repairs and its HD glass that doesn't seem to control CA any better than non-ED glass?

Or with Nikon's original EDG's focuser coming loose and hitting you between the eyes when you lifted the bins to look at a bird in a tree?

For $2K+, these are the kind of strange benefits you get with alphas that you simply just can't expect from second tier companies such as Alpen. :smoke:

I haven't tried the Apex though I have tried a number of other roofs in the same price category over the past few years, and I was surprised at how the quality of more affordable roofs has increased. There was a time when roofs at this price point were crap compared to Porros costing half or less.

Some of that I think is attributable to "trickle down binonomics," whereby companies pioneer technology in their top of the line bins, recoup their R&D, and then allow some of it to filter down to their lower priced lines. The other factor is manufacturing the bins in China so they can keep costs low.

Always good to hear when someone is satisfied with a pair of binoculars that doesn't cost and arm and a leg. Now that alphas have hit the $2.5K mark, maybe that should be arm, leg and an ear.

Congratulations! on your good fortune.

justanosepicker

Brock,

Just because a binocular doesn't have sharp edges and you have to focus the bird in the center of the view doesn't mean it is flawed. And just because it costs much less than $2000.00 doesn't mean it isn't an alpha.

I cite the Nikon 8x30 EII as evidence of that.

Bob

LP,

My interpretation....an Alpha is a binocular that offers top of the line optical performance. Many folks typically only consider models that display this level of performance and that are produced by Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica and possibly Nikon as truly fitting the criteria of "alpha".

What is an "alpha"? Some examples, please.

I can only answer for myself, but the optics I consider "alpha's" that I've handled are my Swaro SLC's, Leica BA's from 20 years ago (my first view through a true "alpha" quality optic and one I'll never forget), and Vortex Razors.

Binoc's that come oh-so-close are Bushnell Elite's and Brunton Epochs.

Any of those I'd spend my money on.

Strangely enough though, those inexpensive Alpen Apex may be the best 10x42's I've handled from an ergonomics point of view. Even more compact in hand and with just as good eye cups and focus wheel as my SLC's.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back