• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Granite 9x33 (1 Viewer)

justabirdwatcher

Posted a comparison between the 9x33 Granites and the 9x32 Pentax on the main forum.

Just wanted to mention that I consider these a "best buy" in the mid-size, mid-price range. They grow on me more each day. I can say nothing bad about them optically. The deliver a very impressive image.

I would easily put them in the same class as a Vortex Viper, and probably as good and a hair brighter than the Sightron 8x32's.

Man, I'm loving these little gems. Took them out for a walk today and they really shined. Bright light, low light, no matter. Loads of detail, good contrast and a very "normal" view. Focus wheel is even getting better by the day as I use them. How are these not a "best buy" on every binocular review? By far the best value in a chinese bin I've seen so far. Every other Chinese binocular I've either returned or sold, but these are the real deal. Bravo Celestron for getting it right!

Hellooooo.....

Anyone out there? All these posts about the Sightron Blue Sky's and no love for the Granites? I don't understand. Are these that far under the radar?

I confess I've been puzzling over your enthusiasm for the Granite ED 9x33. Can it really be that different from the 12x50, 8x42 or the 7x33 in particular? Of those three I liked the 12x50 the most, but none I'd compare favourably to the Vortex Viper.

I was away last week and missed your reports otherwise I might have tried the 9x33 at the weekend but as it was I just tried the 7x33 again in the hope that they had corrected some of the issues that were there when it was launched. The sweet spot was still tiny, the peripheral distortion quite alarming, the contrast was poor, the CA should be better and it was not as sharp as I'd expect for the price. I'd rate it very poor for the money. I have tried the Pentax 9x32 and would rate it much higher than the Granites I've tried. In fact I thought the Celestron Trailseeker was better. Of course none of that relates to the Granite 9x33 model which might just be the pick of the range.

David

Last edited:
David, since they are "chinbins" as one poster loves to put it, maybe I just got a great copy? I dunno. Only pair of Granites I've ever seen, so I have nothing to compare them to.

But yea, I'd put these in the Vortex Viper HD league. Easily.

Sweet spot is enormous, I can't see any CA, contrast is excellent, colors are true neutral.

The 9x32 Pentax's I had side by side were just simply no match optically for the Granites. I figured I was taking a chance on the Granites, and ordered the Pentax for insurance that I'd at least have one good pair to use, and I'd send the other back. Never figured the Granites would kill the Pentax that badly. It was a easy decision.

Perhaps the 9x33's are the pick of the range? I can tell you that I've looked through a LOT of binoculars, and have pretty good (20/10 last time it was tested) vision, and these 9x33's really have no weaknesses in the optics dept.

David, since they are "chinbins" as one poster loves to put it, maybe I just got a great copy? I dunno. Only pair of Granites I've ever seen, so I have nothing to compare them to.

But yea, I'd put these in the Vortex Viper HD league. Easily.

Sweet spot is enormous, I can't see any CA, contrast is excellent, colors are true neutral.

Congratulations, you got a good one!
In general, I see no reason why Chinese factories should not be producing top notch binoculars when they can make very competitive camera lenses.
It is probably just that initially the makers don't pay enough attention to ensuring uniform product quality, mechanically as well as optically. Eventually some learn and survive, the rest go under. Happened before in Japan and the process made good binoculars affordable.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back