• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Shearwater (1 Viewer)

xmesox

Bryn De Kocks
I recently saw this bird on a pelagic cruise, along with quite a few other birders, and it's causing quite a bit of interest among those that saw it. Originally it was identified as a Little Shearwater based off the white eyebrow which extends from the back, above the eye, through to the front of the eye.

Later on, it was ruled out because of the underwing pattern and the shape of the bird (longer winged etc).

Some of the local guides called Manx Shearwater after the fact, while other experts belonging to the rarities committee aren't sure as the strong white extending above the eye doesn't fit in with what you'd expect with a Manx.

I'd be interested in seeing what everyone's thoughts are. I will omit location for now to first see what people's first instincts are based off the visuals :)

Attachments

• IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1704.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I have seen a definite Manx Shearwater with white above the eye in the Bay of Biscay so they do exist. It had me going initially but structurally and the rest of the plumage were spot on for Manx Sheatwater.

Cheers

Roy

Hi Bryn and Tring,
Had a similar experience to this. Would not try to make any definitive statements from the photographs. Surmising your photo however the photo does suggest a long winged, Audubon's Shearwater. You and your group seem to be implying that Audubon's underwing in these conditions would photograph darker, which I would agree with . Suggest your undisclosed location is the other side of the South Atlantic from mine, which is off Argentina. Do not doubt a manx could show a white line above the eye. Point of fact, ask even keen sea watchers what colour foot a manx shearwater has, ie. neutral grey, bright or dull pink or even a very light blue and wait for the answer.

Last edited:
Hi Bryn and Tring,
Had a similar experience to this. Would not try to make any definitive statements from the photographs. Surmising your photo however the photo does suggest a long winged, Audubon's Shearwater. You and your group seem to be implying that Audubon's underwing in these conditions would photograph darker, which I would agree with . Suggest your undisclosed location is the other side of the South Atlantic from mine, which is off Argentina. Do not doubt a manx could show a white line above the eye. Point of fact, ask even keen sea watchers what colour foot a manx shearwater has, ie. neutral grey, bright or dull pink or even a very light blue and wait for the answer.

The word "Audubon's Shearwater" are ones that are being kept inside the mouths of most here looking at this bird. The bird in question was photographed just south of Cape Town, South Africa. Far from the range of Audubon's Shearwater. Well within the general range of Manx, but upon first look it does look more like an Audubon's than a Manx (to me at least).

I suspect however, that the bird may end up going down as an unconfirmed bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back