• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A morning at the fen!! (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
I had the chance to spend a few hours at the local Suffolk Wildlife Trust's Redgrave and Lopham fen nature reserve this morning, I didn't really expect to see a great deal of birdlife on this particular reserve this time of year as inland wetland reserves always seem to be more active around spring/early summer and winter ..however I did enjoy a walk around the majority of the reserve and managed to rack up some not too shabby sightings!!

First spot of the day was Weasal foraging along the footpaths by the visitor centre..which promptly bolted as soon as it saw me walking towards it!! No time to attempt a picture so carried on towards the western edge of the reserve!! After passing through a small wooded area I came to an area rich in wildflowers which had attracted good numbers of butterflies, among the more numerous Tortoishells and Red Admirals were Peacocks, Gate Keepers, Meadow Browns and one Brimstone which resisted all attempts to photograph it!!! The rest of the early afternoon was spent casually walking around the more heathy areas of the reserve, best birds of the day were Hobby and a Water Rail and a few Bearded Tits were heard from the reedbeds. The last and best sighting of the day however was spotted just as I was leaving the reserve, looking over the adjoining grassy meadows I watched a Female Roe Deer in her summer livery together with a young fawn, Roe Deer are hard enough to see in the summer months so it was an additional pleasure in seeing this fine beauty with her young offspring!!!!

Matt

Attachments

• lopham fen 007.jpg
    lopham fen 007.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 12
  • lopham fen 013.jpg
    lopham fen 013.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 12
  • lopham fen 020.jpg
    lopham fen 020.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 14
  • lopham fen 016.jpg
    lopham fen 016.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 19
  • lopham fen 003.jpg
    lopham fen 003.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 18
Some more piccies!!

Matt

Attachments

• Peacock.jpg
    Peacock.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Tortoishell.jpg
    Tortoishell.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Mum!!.jpg
    Mum!!.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Roe Deer and young.jpg
    Roe Deer and young.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 17
Matt, it looks a really good reserve that you visited! You really do have some super reserves close(ish) by you! I think I will up sticks and move to East Anglia!o:D
A great read and great pics! Thanks for sharing your morning (and sunshine)with us, Matt!:t:

Hi Matt,

Nice report of a very pleasant stroll around. Must say that your weather looks a bit better than we had this morning, in fact the sun has only recently decided to visit.

What's this 'numerous' Butterflies bit, I haven't seen a Small T'shell all year and only a couple of Peacocks. OK Gatekeepers and M Browns but also only one Brimstone and not much else either. So think yourself lucky.

Lucky too with the Deer, nice one.

Bill

Thanks for sharing your visit with us, Matt. Good to see somewhere has blue skies and sun! Great pic of the tortoiseshell, and those roe are positively posing for you. Excellent.

A nice report and some stunning pics as usual Matt!:t:
And you had blue sky today too!!!
The Deer pics are really lovely as are the landscapes of your wonderful countryside.
Thanks for sharing your morning with us!:t:

What a lovely place to visit, looks like it had a bit of everything there!! Your pics are really good and the tortoiseshell is a stunner!!!! The Roe deer must be feeling a lot more confident this summer they don't seem to be camera shy this year!!!

Glad you had a lovely day out in the Suffolk sunshine!!!:t:

Hiya Matt,
What a great place to visit, & the pics reflect the wonderful scenery.
Lovely report, thanks Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back