• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it possible to fix the play in a focus wheel? (1 Viewer)

613Orm

I have a couple of mm play in the focus wheel on my binos when turning it. Is there a common reason for play in focus wheels? Is it something that can be fixed by tightening some screw, or is it beyond home fixing?

I notice no effect with temperature on the play.

These binoculars are roof prism with a "open bridge" design. The focus wheel is identical to what can be seen on Bushnell Ultra HD etc.

[I am not interested in paying to send them to some repair, and I do not worry about any eventual effects on whatever warranty they may still have]

Thanks!

Hi,

since non-optimal focus work seems to be a common gripe even up to alpha level, I would expect the fix to be non-trivial. In most bins it's a matter of proper lubrication with exactly the right amount of the right lubricant.
I think with low-priced chinese optics it's either with play (not enough grease) or a bit sticky (a lot of grease).

Joachim

Hard to say without seeing or feeling the problem, as Joachim mentions, some thicker heavy grease may help, but 2mm is quite a lot of play, my gut feel is it's not a home fix, it sounds something is worn or a poor fit and the focus mechanism on these "open bridge" design bins can be tricky to mess with, I learned that from trying to fix a focus issue myself on an open bridge Bushnell, I ended up having to scrap the binocular. Is it a Bushnell? If so, contact them, you will find their Customer Service online, they may well be able to help, surely if it's only postage costs you would send them? .

Last edited:
OK. Thanks!
I will not try to change the grease. It sounds too difficult. I was hoping I could tighten some screw. I did fix a drifting diopter on my old Bushnell by using locktight (excuse spelling) on the screw.
I was some time ago sending in a pair of Zeiss for repair. It cost me 70E shipping cost. I dont find it worth it in this case.
The play is not worse than I can live with it. But having other better binoculars it has caused these ones to end up in the drawer too often. And I kind of like these binoculars for certain occasions.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back