• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 A and Theron Mag82 combination (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I felt the need to post something about my recent experiences with the Theron Mag82 spotting scope and my most recent acquisition, a Nikon ED50 Angled.

I purchased the Nikon from CLNY, via ebay, last week with the fixed power Nikon 13/20/25 eyepiece. When it arrived I was also surprised to find that they had sent along a shoulder-mount free of charge. I have never used a shoulder mount with any scope so this was a new experience for me.

Last summer I had the opportunity to pick up one of the ED 50s but it was the straight model. My intention at the time was to determine if it was compatible with the Theron Mag82s eyepieces. The Theron is basically a Bosma-made Nikon ED82A so I was hoping there was some compatibility. What I found in that little experiment was that the Theron zoom did work with the ED 50 straight but the wide angle 16x (30x on the Theron) eyepiece would not. There is a small metal ring just above the threads that would not allow it to mount to that unit.

I did decide to give the scope another try though especially after I saw it was the angled model which was being sold. It arrived last week.

After using it for the last week I have to say that I am in love with this little spotter. It is extremely small, very lightweight and offers excellent image quality with any of the three eyepieces I have used with it. Yes, you read that correctly. I did again attempt to use the Theron eyepieces with the ED50 and I am able to use both the Theron widefield, fixed power eyepiece (assuming 16x since it is 30x in the Mag82) and the Theron zoom. I tend to prefer the 16x wide angle for glassing large areas as the wide field of view cannot be beat plus the size of the sweet spot of image in focus and free of distortion is huge.

The zoom is excellent optically as well. Very good edge performance/large sweet spot though it does have a fairly narrow field of view across the entire magnification range.

Even the included 13x/20/25x eyepiece that came with the scope offers very good apparent sharpness and brightness levels. As someone else pointed out to me in a recent discussion of this scope the store-supplied 20/25x (60 and 78 mm models respectively) eyepiece is not recommended with the ED50. I am guessing because of its edge performance. Unlike all of the other eyepieces I have used with this scope the edges aren't quite as sharp. There is noticeable distortion. I am not distracted by it though as the sweet spot is still relatively large and the field of view is advertised as 60 degrees.

I do want to clarify one issue with the eyepiece interchangeability. The Theron zoom seats completely in the ED50 but the wide angle 16x does not. It does engage the first few threads of the ED50 body but will not fully seat into the scope itself. I have not found any issues because of this though. It does not affect image quality and I can focus from about 8 feet all the way through infinity without any issues.

Truth be told I am having a hard time putting the little scope down. It is so small and convenient, especially with the shoulder mount that I find I am taking it with me as much as I am any given pair of binoculars. I just love picking it up and looking through the 16x eyepiece at....well...anything. Lovely bright, sharp image that is almost sharp to the edges. Very addicting.

Of course I will be keeping an eye out for any deals on any of Nikon's other eyepieces as I love flexibility. And, as always, I am interested in astro eyepiece compatability with the Nikon. I am not aware of any adapters at this point but will continue to experiment with several eyepieces I currently have and others to see if any of them will work. Then it is just a step or two with a machine shop to get an adapter made.

So, with both the Theron Mag82 and the little Nikon ED50 I feel as if I have all bases covered. With the prices that both of these are selling for these days I almost feel as if anyone can have top level optical performance at a price less than half of what some of the Alpha scopes cost...and that is for both scopes!

What a great time to be in love with optics. ;)

Pictures to follow this evening.

Edit: One little addendum. The Nikon 20/25x eyepiece fits perfectly into the Theron Mag82 and provides better edge performance than when mated to the ED50. I look forward to trying other Nikon eyepieces with the Theron scope.

Last edited:
Nikon 16/20/25 eyepiece.

I assume that should be 13/20/25x as the Wide DS is 16/24/30x.
You may know I have had the ED50A for some time and I absolutely love it too.
A few months ago I got the Wide MC 27x and even though the 13-30 zoom is very fine, I have never put it back. I'm about to get a Wide DS 16x now and in the future I'll buy the Nikon ED82.

/L

Yes, you are correct. My thoughts and fingers weren't working together on that issue. Will go back and edit it.

Thanks.

great to hear Frank. Considering the deal available now on the Mag82 with both ep's I have been very tempted to grab one and then supplement with an ED50 body for hiking/travel at some point in the future. The confirmation that the ep's are compatible is good news.

I didn't get a chance to post any pics last night. Be sure I will do it later today at some point.

I do agree with you about the combination and eyepiece compatibility. Even more so as it seems that the Nikon 16x wide angle eyepiece seems to be currently unavailable at almost all the stores I checked. This particular spotting scope combination definitely meets all of my needs.

I didn't get a chance to post any pics last night. Be sure I will do it later today at some point.

I do agree with you about the combination and eyepiece compatibility. Even more so as it seems that the Nikon 16x wide angle eyepiece seems to be currently unavailable at almost all the stores I checked. This particular spotting scope combination definitely meets all of my needs.

Good news for me Frank. I had planned on buying a ED50 next year to go along with my Mag82.
I know I love the veiw thru my WA30x in the Mag82. Plum sweet.

dcb,

I think you will be thoroughly enthused with the ED50 once you get it. When you couple the Theron Wide angle with it I think you will be amazed. Because of the lower magnification you get better depth of field so everything seems to be in focus as soon as you put your eye up to the eyepiece. Granted, it isn't quite that simple but it certainly feels that way every time I use that eyepiece/scope combination.

dcb,

I think you will be thoroughly enthused with the ED50 once you get it. When you couple the Theron Wide angle with it I think you will be amazed. Because of the lower magnification you get better depth of field so everything seems to be in focus as soon as you put your eye up to the eyepiece. Granted, it isn't quite that simple but it certainly feels that way every time I use that eyepiece/scope combination.
Being nosy here..... How much is ED50 now?

At the site mentioned in my previous post Doug had several straight and angled models up for auction at $399.99 or $449.99 (Buy it Now) shipped with the Nikon 12/20/25x eyepiece.

Frank the 30x wide angle Theron eyepiece not screwing in the whole way, is it a matter of the threads are a little different or is it hitting "bottom"? I can plainly see the threads showing on the 30x .

Yes, those are the threads showing. It only screws in about 3/4 to 1 full turn. I don't believe it is hitting bottom but rather the metal "ring" ahead of the threads interfers in some manner. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Thanks Frank! Now if only you could buy one of these at a low price. I am glad you like the little 50ED. This scope grows on you, an over achiever for sure. Seems like what your eye would see if magnified.

Last edited:
Exactly Steve. A very natural and easy view...especially with the 16x wide angle. Speaking of which I do have to agree with that other post in one of the other subforums about their being an untapped niche for low power, wide field views (70 degrees plus and less than 20x). There is something picture-window about that type of design especially if there is a generous amount of eye relief.

Hi, all - I've been considering the ED50 but have to finish sorting out all the eyepiece choices. I'd prefer a screw type as opposed to the rubber fold-down type. Can those of you with Nikon experience recommend which eyepieces have which style?
Thanks -
Steve

The Nikon ED50 I just purchased came with the fold down 13/20/25 (50 mm/65mm/82 mm respectively). It is mounted on the scope in the first two comparative pics above. I like using it. 60 degree apparent field of view, very good apparent sharpness and neutral color representation. The edge sharpness isn't as good as the two Theron (Nikon look-a-likes) eyepieces.

If pressed, and based on my experiences with the eyepieces above, I would suggest either the Nikon 16x wide angle (regular wide angle and DS-digiscoping) and the 27x wide angle. Their 70 degree apparent field of view, huge sweet spot and excellent CA control are an excellent combination with the ED50.

The Nikon 16x DS eyepiece....

http://www.adorama.com/Reviews/pwr/...-Fieldscopes-amp-16x-for-50mm-Fieldscope.html

The 27x DS eyepiece.....

http://www.opticsale.com/nikon-fiel...ftrk=gdfV2656_a_7c772_a_7c6880_a_7c041_d_7464

The 13x that came with the ED50 I purchased.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-Field...017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ab8d8f41

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back