• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My three spottingscopes (1 Viewer)

Swedpat

These are my three models from below:

Delta Titanium ED50
Pentax PF-65EDAII
Pentax PF-65EDII

20230925_185120.jpg

The Delta 50 only has a focal length of 170mm.
This is truly the perfect backpack and travel scope!
It comes with a 7,5-22,5x zoom eyepiece which is actually of decent quality. But I am not a fan of zoom eyepieces so I use it with Baader Morpheus eyepieces instead.

20230925_185243.jpg

The eyelens is ~36,5mm and this eyepiece provides more than sufficient eye relief with eyeglasses and 76deg AFOV!

20230925_185429.jpg

All of these three scopes provide images with very good color correction. But they are not the choice for very high magnifications.
I consider Delta 50 as good up to around 20x and Pentax 65 up to around 30x.
With Morpheus 17,5mm eyepiece they give 10 vs 22x, and with 12,5mm eyepiece 13,5 vs 31x.

Spottingscopes are great for as well birding, nature studies and astronomy(at least the angled ones).
And the main reason I chose these models is the 1,25 inch hole for astronomical eyepieces. This gives you hundreds of eyepiece options!
The possibility to use astronomical eyepieces is great.

Last weekend I participated in a starparty and here is a picture of the setup. I guess it's a pretty odd telescope at a starparty beside other's, for example, 120mm refractors and 200mm Newtons!

20230923_203221.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back