• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

western France Guerande Jack Snipe ? (1 Viewer)

Hello

in amongst the 23 (!!!) Snipe we counted on the edge of the abandoned salt pan today

we saw this ( apparently ) much smaller and darker one

we couldn't see the median crown-stripe but is that just the viewing angle ??

cheers

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 290
i guess you mean the upright standing one. that's also a common snipe. either facial pattern and tramlines don't fit jack snpe.

The bird on the far left, and the closer of the two birds on the right look like Common Snipe. The more distant bird on the right is probably not identifiable.

Nutcracker is right, there is a fourth snipe, lower middle in the picture. Too little for me to ID, but given it is more centre frame in the photo maybe this is the bird the OP was aiming to photograph. Any other photos?

Nutcracker is right, there is a fourth snipe, lower middle in the picture. Too little for me to ID, but given it is more centre frame in the photo maybe this is the bird the OP was aiming to photograph. Any other photos?

Now you mention - there is! Save others looking here's a copy. I don't think its IDable though the dark stripe to the rear of the eye favours Common?

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 47
Now you mention - there is! Save others looking here's a copy. I don't think its IDable though the dark stripe to the rear of the eye favours Common?

Hello

well I have learned that I need to look more closely at the pictures I post :°

(another New year's resolution)
so having more closely looked at the original photo I actually meant this one
We thought that the yellow was from the culm in front of it as we could see the dark head stripe but no central crown stripe between the eyes

thanks again
V

Attachments

• jack (2).jpg
    jack (2).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 53
Hello

well I have learned that I need to look more closely at the pictures I post :°

(another New year's resolution)
so having more closely looked at the original photo I actually meant this one
We thought that the yellow was from the culm in front of it as we could see the dark head stripe but no central crown stripe between the eyes

thanks again
V

It's a Common Snipe, if you look closely you can see a small "stripe" of supercilium on the edge of the left dark lateral crown stripe!

Shane

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back