• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rosefinches (pink-rumped or beautiful) from Sichuan, China (1 Viewer)

orientaldkf

Hi all, took these birds at around 4000 m elevation in Yading Nature Reserve, photos 1-3 are of the first bird, photos 4-5 are of the second bird. Can't seem to spot any marked differences in plumage except for the streakiness in their crowns, which leads me to think the first bird is a Pink-Rumped Rosefinch and the second a Himalayan Beautiful Rosefinch, but I am still rather unsure if there are other diagnostic features that could separate the two. Would appreciate any help in IDing them!

Attachments

• DSC_8598.jpg
    DSC_8598.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC_8610.jpg
    DSC_8610.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • DSC_8629.jpg
    DSC_8629.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC_9543.jpg
    DSC_9543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_9546.jpg
    DSC_9546.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
No idea what they are - but I can't see anything to suggest they are not both the same species. Both birds have ± equally streaked crowns, and no clear plumage differences.

Not one I am familiar with, even in China, but it sure looks like they are all Chinese Beautiful Rosefinch - Carpodacus davidianus

@Nutcracker: you're right, the crowns look equally streaked for both, checked from different angles.
@Owen: Any features that you generally look out for in Beautiful Rosefinches?

Not sure if the extent of pink on the rump is diagnostic (tried searching for images of both species and they were inconclusive) but I got some shots of the rump of both individuals if it helps in the identification. Photos 1 & 2 are of the first bird, photo 3 is of the second bird.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.1.jpg
    1.1.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.1-2.jpg
    2.1-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
The combination and extent of streaked head, cheeks and flanks make the first at least, Beautiful.

The last bird, could easily be Pink-rumped IMHO, very feint streaking on flanks and cheeks compared to the first bird.

Last edited:
Does feel like both birds have some heavier streaking on the upper flanks, although I agree that overall the first bird has much lighter streaking on the flanks compared to the second bird. Also read in a guide book that pink-rumped has a more slender bill and shorter tail although I haven't been able to confirm that...

As I said, not one I am familiar with as it is not found in the area of DongBei where I bird in China, but you did force me into more research.;)

These look too pink for the Himalayan too me. Especially the face. Can't tell from these images, but the Chinese would have a notched tail and the Himalayan would have a somewhat squared off ending from what I am finding.

I see thanks! The plates do show a difference in the degree of pinkness although I've been scouring images on the net of both species and to be honest my eyes still can't tell the difference between the two :eek!:

I see thanks! The plates do show a difference in the degree of pinkness although I've been scouring images on the net of both species and to be honest my eyes still can't tell the difference between the two :eek!:

Look at the streaking on crown, cheeks and flanks, it is less strong on P-rumped.

For everyone who has been following this thread, I did some more digging and found the paper that split the beautiful and pink-rumped rosefinches (Tietze et al., 2013), and it states that the ssp of beautiful (argyrophrys) and pink-rumped (eos) in Sichuan are likely to be elevationally parapatric, with pink-rumped occuring at higher elevations (3200-4400 m) compared to beautiful (2600-2700 m). The paper goes into greater detail if anyone is interested. Conclusion, it is likely that the two rosefinches photographed here are both pink-rumped, according to this paper at least!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back