• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitching (1 Viewer)

Hi All,
It's been interesting to see how this debate has developed and obviously the term "twitching" means something different to everyone.
I loved the description of the "swing door" Maurice gave, and if I was to think of that as "twitching", then I would say I'm definitely not a twitcher. lol!
However.....
Of all the examples given so far, Kezza said something that struck a chord when saying "it wasn't really me"
Putting the carbon issue aside for the sake of explaining my point, I have to say twitching "Is for me" But I'm not a twitcher because "life" and all it's commitments wont allow it.
Given the chance, I would get myself a pager and travel to see a rarities.
I suppose it's something you know deep down.
I love and appreciate everything in the natural world and don't ever feel disappointed with "my lot" but I could definitely drift a little further given the chance.

P.S. In answer to your question Maurice, "Me"!!!:t:
Bye for now all

If you ever come to Wales Jim, give Luke a call, when it comes to getting your Bird, he's the man! (dont forget to invite me of course) ;)

Have to disagree here Pie, no offence ment of course Luke... as I know he is a very good birder. But, the north wales birders are better... what with Ken Croft one of the UK's top rarity finders living in north wales... Alan Davies, who may be the first person ever to break the 4000 bird in a year mark (he's selling/sold his house and is selling his car just to fund this adventure!)

Oh and theres the BTO's new director, who was a north wales birder.

Have to disagree here Pie, no offence ment of course Luke... as I know he is a very good birder. But, the north wales birders are better... what with Ken Croft one of the UK's top rarity finders living in north wales... Alan Davies, who may be the first person ever to break the 4000 bird in a year mark (he's selling/sold his house and is selling his car just to fund this adventure!)

Oh and theres the BTO's new director, who was a north wales birder.

Wot wot wot!!!!!
No Never!

We in the SE will give you a run for your money any day! ;)

Wot wot wot!!!!!
No Never!
We in the SE will give you a run for your money any day! ;)

Oh yeah?...
so we moved on to a reported Semi-palmated Sandpiper (SEMI-P) at ‘Newport Wetlands’ in South Wales. It hadn’t been seen for hours when we arrived but Robert picked it out from amongst 100+ Dunlin. A difficult bird to ID but it had all the features; webbed-feet etc!
We had to refind one of your birds for you!
:-O

Edit *cough* Ospreys *cough*

Last edited:
Hmm for my tuppence already it is evident how twitching evokes strong emotions such as bitterness, anger, envy (and other deadly sins lol). - I have no such time for this malarkey. It is well documanted that Jim Morris kills the planet cos he's always getting lost and therefore adding countless miles to his total:eek!:

Even Bri, has to bird abroad to beat me in the annual totals list;)

On a more serious note, the only thing that stops me from twitching is money, time, transport, enthusiasm, ability and lack of holidays - apart from that I'm nearly there.

My biggest twitch would be Teesside for Semi-palmated Sandpiper or Gt White Egret to the south and Roller to the north at Northumberland - not too bad.

Of course I plead the Baz amendment - have been in the vicinity already on various meets and had Rose Coloured Starling (Bempton) Stilt Sandpiper (Norfolk). To me the biggest annoyance is the term twitcher for anyone who remotely likes birds. Can't speak for the rest of you, but I know a lot of Twitchers and love to hear their tales and read about them. Couldn't do it myself though, but understand the buzz.

Hmm for my tuppence already it is evident how twitching evokes strong emotions such as bitterness, anger, envy (and other deadly sins lol).

Deadly sins on ex beebers! Surely not!3:)

It's them Welsh mate. When they're not singing they're twitching and fighting;)

Have you checked your diary for next April/May time Bri? - also have you a list of group trips for next year or are they not arranged yet, any thoughts of the holiday etc. PM me if necessary.

S

So who found the hume's yellow browed up your way then? wasnt, a south walian was it?

Hume's leaf warb according to the finders.
It was found by marc hughes and confirmed within minutes by alan davies and another local birder, who I also know. 4th bird for wales, and the first for the Conwy county (was going to go see it this morning, but, time put an end to that, along with not bieing there. )
some photos here http://northwalesbirding.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=774

Hume's leaf warb according to the finders.
It was found by marc hughes and confirmed within minutes by alan davies and another local birder, who I also know. 4th bird for wales, and the first for the Conwy county (was going to go see it this morning, but, time put an end to that, along with not bieing there. )
some photos here http://northwalesbirding.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=774

hume's leaf/hume's yellow browed same thing but a cracking find none the less. Shame you didnt get to see it, we don't get species like that in the south. Gwents only got 4 records of yellow browed nevermind hume's!!!

that'll be a cracking sight if you see that wheatear, us in the south though have a real rarity, pechora pipit!

This is getting stupid now you childish lot! :) . Can we just say wales is superb all over! lol

that'll be a cracking sight if you see that wheatear, us in the south though have a real rarity, pechora pipit!

This is getting stupid now you childish lot! :) . Can we just say wales is superb all over! lol

Of course... both half's are understated.

[QUOTE=Quacker; It is well documanted that Jim Morris kills the planet cos he's always getting lost and therefore adding countless miles to his total:eek!:

I didn't get lost, I knew exactly where I was. I was on the wrong side of Loch Ness.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back