• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heading to Mull this June. (1 Viewer)

WhiteTailed22

I am incredible excited for my trip to Mull this year but I was last in Mull a number of years ago and while I saw some fantastic birds, I'd struggle to remember the specific walks which give you best chance of a worthwhile birdwatching experience.

Anyone who knows the Isle of Mull well willing to interject and help here? I fondly remember Calgary Bay and the drive to Fionnphort also provided immense views of Golden Eagles. Beyond this however, I'd struggle to remember the good walks.

Of course, i'd love to see the White Tailed Sea Eagle again (been so long) and i'd love to see other birds of prey too, especially Merlin and Hen Harrier. I never tire of seeing divers too and I was lucky enough to see a Great Northern Diver at Calgary Bay last time.

So, if anyone can tell me their about birding experience in Mull and the best places to see some of the birds I have mentioned, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

I'll also be in Speyside next week, Monday - Thursday, so it is hopefully going to be a memorable spring/summer for birdwatching. I'll be sure to post what I see there when I get home.

Hi WT

First have a look at The Opus article for Mull, there's some useful links in there, including one for Mull Birds (which also has a number of useful links in it too).

There is a booklet called Walks on Mull (or something like that) but not sure if it's still in print - it may be Walking Oban and Mull - can't remember. Calgary Bay is wonderful, isn't it.

Gordon's book may include some walks you'd like too.

Hope these thoughts help till someone else pops in.

EDIT: found this about walking - might interest you: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/mull/

Yeah that book is very good.

Carsaig Arches is a good walk, can be quite strenuous and need a head for heights at the arches.
Turn left in Pennyghael, follow the round until you come to the pebble beach, turn right along the beach and follow the track to the arches. It's probably 7 mile round trip. Can get fantastic views of Golden Eagle and Peregrine there, plus there's always the chance of sea life down these.

There are loads of walks on Mull but lots of specific sites for birds, We will be there in May, can't wait.

Cheers

Hi WT

First have a look at The Opus article for Mull, there's some useful links in there, including one for Mull Birds (which also has a number of useful links in it too).

There is a booklet called Walks on Mull (or something like that) but not sure if it's still in print - it may be Walking Oban and Mull - can't remember. Calgary Bay is wonderful, isn't it.

Gordon's book may include some walks you'd like too.

Hope these thoughts help till someone else pops in.

EDIT: found this about walking - might interest you: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/mull/

Cheers for getting back to me, Deila. This is useful information. I'll keep an eye out for that book.

I have a good feeling about this summer. Could be one to remember in a birdwatching respect.

Yeah that book is very good.

Carsaig Arches is a good walk, can be quite strenuous and need a head for heights at the arches.
Turn left in Pennyghael, follow the round until you come to the pebble beach, turn right along the beach and follow the track to the arches. It's probably 7 mile round trip. Can get fantastic views of Golden Eagle and Peregrine there, plus there's always the chance of sea life down these.

There are loads of walks on Mull but lots of specific sites for birds, We will be there in May, can't wait.

Cheers

Thanks for getting back to me. That sounds like a great walk and i'll keep it in mind, cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back