• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Florida - flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

Got a few shots here of a bird I could not identify clearly...at no point would he come out of the deep cypress trees to let me get a clear shot, so I had to manually focus THROUGH heavy branches and leaves - which is why the details are a bit lacking and contrast is poor. He was clearly larger than the prairie and B&W warblers all around in the trees, yet smaller than a jay...so my thinking was a great crested flycatcher. Any firm confirm of my ID, or alternate ID, appreciated:

https://g2.img-dpreview.com/99015082F91D40A9AB62A676B509B23F.jpg

https://g2.img-dpreview.com/096351708E35459B9BBA061A8D77A568.jpg

There is a clear contrast to the white wing edges.. I'm no expert, but I think I agree with Great-crested Flycatcher

I think GCF is a good shout on range, and those contrasting white edges to the tertials seem fairly significant.

Cheers Zackie.

Excellent - many thanks all.

I don't encounter flycatchers that often other than eastern phoebes, so I'm hesitant sometimes on their ID. I've seen Great Cresteds maybe 5 times, LaSagra's twice, Acadian once, eastern kingbird once, cedar waxwings maybe 5 times, eastern wood peewee once, vermillion flycatcher once, and fork-tailed and scissor-tailed once each. I wish I encountered them all more frequently, but I'll take what I can get!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back