• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler or Vireo - South East Florida (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

Having trouble with this little guy high up in the trees. My first thought was possibly yellow-rumped warbler, but that strong white eyebrow is throwing me. Almost makes me think of a red-eyed or black-whiskered vireo's strong eyebrow - but there's no black eyeline or lower white stripe under the eye...and too much marking on the chest, dark cheek...hopefully someone could confirm the ID:
3548BDE9F7454CF2A37C8D87E02590C3.jpg

Thank you. I can't say I see that too often on our Y-Rs, but I do recall having an ID trouble a few years ago with one like this. Glad to know I was on track with my gut though. I have been dealing with dozens of warblers, vireos, parulas, redstarts, etc and generally pretty confident with IDs - but every once in a while, one like this throws me a bit.

Check-out-this-link:

Learning and then paying attention to the undertail pattern is a helpful way to separate warblers. It would have also ruled out any suggestion of Vireo right off the bat as none of them have white undertail spots ;)

I'll have to remember that on vireos' tails. I see 200 warblers for every 1 vireo, so I'm not as familiar with vireos' markings except the obvious ones (as far as I know, I've only really seen black-whiskered, red-eyed, and white-eyed vireos.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back