• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lago de Yojoa, Sta. Barbara, Copán Ruinas, bird-friendly accomodations (1 Viewer)

Mmcguire

Lago de Yojoa, Sta. Barbara, Copán Ruinas, bird-friendly accommodations

I'm an avid birder, but travelling with a patient non-birding spouse, so I have to plan our itineraries to accommodate both of our interests. We'll be in Honduras for most of the month of May, brushing up our Spanish at a language school in La Ceiba for more than half of that time. We expect to be able to do afternoon and weekend side trips from there to birding sites on the northern coast. And we intend to end our trip at Pico Bonito lodge, and splurge on 3 nights there for our wedding anniversary. I would very much appreciate it if anyone has good suggestions for birding in the areas of Copán Ruinas and Lago de Yojoa.

We are considering hiring a car in order to visit both of those areas (but if we don't go to the Lake area, we may just as well make the journey by bus). A relevant factor: our abilities to communicate in Spanish are fine for most travellers' needs, and I've done some birding with guides (and fellow birders) speaking Spanish, but I wouldn't call myself fully "fluent," and my husband is probably at an intermediate level. We've done well, travelling in hired cars on two previous trips to Costa Rica, but have travelled only by bus and taxi in rural Mexico and Nicaragua. So, if we're crazy to consider driving to those specific areas in Honduras, please tell us that, too.

(1) If we have only one week for the whole trip to Copán Ruinas etc., is it worth it to try to go to Lago de Yojoa, and what about adding on the area of Sta. Barbara?

(2) Recommended accommodations? We generally prefer modest accommodations, especially if by using them we are supporting the local economy rather than wealthy investors. For example, are there any coffee-growing communities that are trying to attract birding tourists to help them sustain themselves while using bird-friendly agricultural practices??? Or any organic farms that offer accommodations?

(3) How could I link up with reliable local birding guides in any of these communities? I'm eager to support efforts to bring birding income into rural communities and to encourage young people to care about the environment. So I don't expect those guides to act like the pros, but I have had some wonderful experiences connecting with local peoples through birding. [And one local guide I had in Nicaragua was the finest birding guide I have ever known!]

Any pointers would be welcome for this trip (we hope to go to those particular areas approximately May 13). But, it's possible that we may make it to Honduras again in February or March of 2008, possibly for the trip on the Rio Platano and some other sites, hopefully in conjunction with another trip to Nicaragua. So, pointers about other birding sites in Honduras, suitable for independent birders, would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Last edited:
My website (see link below) has some information on the sites that you mentioned. It includes an old phone number (about 7 years old) for a bird guide called Jorge Barraza, who is resident at Copan Ruins. Its a relatively small town, so you will probably be able to track him down if the phone number no longer works (please pass on any of his new contact details to me, if you get them).
The Lodge at Pico Bonito is a nice place to visit and there is some really great birding. From here, you can also head out to some other good sites on the north coast, though the more time you spend in Pico Bonito the better.
Lago Yojoa will get you a number of good species. There are two hotels at the north end of the lake that are good for birding. Agua Azul is the one mentioned on my website, but a bit further down the road is Finca Las Glorias which is also well worth a visit. I haven't updated my website since my last visit in August to include this location. I didn't have much luck, partly due to weather and possibly due to the time of year but it is a known as a site for Spot-tailed and Buff-collared Nightjars and as a site for Grey-breasted Crake, all of which may need tapes. I am not familiar with Santa Barbara.
These three sites would give you a good selection of Honduran species. The one big habitat that is missing is cloud forest, which has most of the regional specialties. However, the advantage of all these sites is that they are good places to visit with a non-birder.
Your plan of returning for a trip up the Rio Platano is a good one. It is just fantastic for birds and a real adventure. You will love it.
Feel free to contact me personally via the Birdforum private message system or on my website e-mail address, if you need any more information.

Tom

Mmcguire said:
brushing up our Spanish at a language school in La Ceiba for more than half of that time. We expect to be able to do afternoon and weekend side trips from there to birding sites on the northern coast.

The coast line can be good for seabirds, I have had parasitic jaeger just east of Cieba. A definite lunch hour trip should be the bus to Sambo Creek for lunch at the seafood resturant overlooking the water. If you take the local bus Cieba to Sambo stay on till you reach the water. Have the mixed seafood soup (including king crab) while you overlook the ocean.

"And we intend to end our trip at Pico Bonito lodge, and splurge on 3 nights there for our wedding anniversary."
Incredible place, ask for the guides to show you keel-billed motmots with the use of tapes. Get in the towers for lovely continga etc, and definitely check out the oropendula tree.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone has good suggestions for birding in the areas of Copán Ruinas and Lago de Yojoa. We are considering hiring a car in order to visit both of those areas (but if we don't go to the Lake area, we may just as well make the journey by bus).

Getting to Copan by bus is very simple, just make sure you each LA Entrada by about 4 to get the last bus into Copan. In San Pedro Sula you must switch bus and bus stations, I suggest that you take a cab and make sure the driver is out of the car if you bags are in the trunk. It will cost 100lps but worth the safety.

(2) Recommended accommodations? We generally prefer modest accommodations, especially if by using them we are supporting the local economy rather than wealthy investors. For example, are there any coffee-growing communities that are trying to attract birding tourists to help them sustain themselves while using bird-friendly agricultural practices??? Or any organic farms that offer accommodations?

IN Copan a large amount of accomadation is available. I stay at Los Germolos, very basic, 100lps a night but wonderful locals. There is loads of accomadations, but as you mention most are owned by foreigners.

I have Jorge Barraza's phone number, I will get it to you. He can be found also at the tourist office/art mezaaine/library on the north side of the town square.

Roberto Gallardo at Enchanted Wings Butterfly Farm is an excellent guide and his place is worth seeing. His site is http://www.birdsofhonduras.com/. I imagine Roberto may be one of your guides on the Rio PLanta.

These two people can arrange day trips for birds and will likely charge $25-100 US per day.

There is good birding immediately adjacent to town, along th river and within the ruins complex, but it is worth getting into the hills on a trip. MAcaw Mountain is an American owned coffee farm and bird sancuatry. The birds sanctuary is gorgeous and can be reached by tuk-tuk (motor scooter). The rehab birds are beautiful and wild birds are abundant. The coffee is incredible and the facalaties are anything but reminescent of the rest of the country. The owners may be able to arrange an overnight trip to their farm in the hills.

A local who would be happy to take you to his coffee finca is Ayax Antonio Cruz of Fince Santa Cruz, look for him opposite the Policia National processing beans or at home over the appliance store at the NW corner of the "indoor" market

These two people can arrange day trips for birds and will likely charge $25-100 US per day.

Got to go will write more a bit later

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful tips and specific contact names, etc. I'm going to wish we had more than a month for this trip.

Mmcguire said:
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful tips and specific contact names, etc. I'm going to wish we had more than a month for this trip.

If you are going to be in Honduras for a month you must get out to Olanchito for the Honduran Emerald. Lots of good things out in the thorn forests. The normal location just west of Olanchito at the Zonas Coyales sign was still active a year ago, the best spot is apparently at the old air force base at Arenal.

If you are at Olanchito, La Marulla is easliy reached. Here you can get alot more species here including Quetzal. You are into some cloud forest, so a whole new world.

If you have time and want to support the locals I suggest you go to Santa Maria del Carbon (El Carbon) on the Juticalpa highway between Corocito and Juticalpa. There is a little group there attempting to help nature and encourage ecotourism. As you approach from the north, immediately upon entering "town" as you start down the hill, stop and on the left is Linton Escobar, ask around. He is a great guy and can take you on hikes etc. He will likely set you up with Dina Fiallos for meals. Things are very simple in this Pech village, no electricity, maybe running water. I paid 70 lps per night for a room and about 200 lps for food for three days. I would skip the meat offered and stick with the regular beans, rice, tortillas etc. You might consider bringing some food with you, bring something for a few extras though. Dina has a large extended family living with her, but they will treat you like royality. I highly encourage a visit here. Be warned the "highway" in from Bonito Oriental is primitive and is a hellish trip by bus. A four wheel drive vehicle is needed.

I am attempting to gather some binos etc. for Linton and others, please help out if you go. Please no candy for the children, but I am sure anything would be appreciated. They are not desperately poor but certainly do not have any pocket money.

El Carbon was the best place in Honduras, very quite, very rural, just bring your water purifier. For the non-birding spouse ear plugs are a must, the village starts to move about 4 am, and the roosters let you know they have survived another night.

By far the most easily accessible birding (and perhaps the best) is at Lancitella Botanical Gardens (check the internet) immediately outside of Tela. The gardens are approximately 3000 ha, 100 of which is fruit and timber trees and palms. Great botanically but incredible birds. Accomodation is available at the gardens 100 lps per night in the dorms, $20US per night for a cabin. There is a nice little cafeteria on the sight run by Dona Maria, you get a good meal but no choice (about 50-80 lps for a plato tipico). Stay here rather than in town, maybe bring a little to eat and drink and be out of the cabin by 6am. The entrance road and side baths are easy birding with great things. The primal forests have some great lurking species.

The moon guide to Honduras is a must, far better than Lonley Planet. Howell and Webb is the book to have and get a copy of Birding Honduras:A Checklist and Guide by Bonta and Anderson. Buteo Books should have the guide. An interestin backgrouned Book is Seven Names for the Bellbird by Mark Bonta.

We're back from Honduras. Had a fabulous month, despite oppressive heat. I'll try to do a trip report soon, but the photos and web-site coverage will have to wait until later this summer. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I couldn't do it all this trip, but I'm pretty sure that I'll return next year, when I can time my trip to see more migrants (this trip had to be completed before June, in order to get funding from my University at the end of the fiscal year). Also, I didn't have time this year to go into Olanchito or see much cloud forest, and I definitely want to do some birding on the Rio Platano. Thanks again for all the encouragement!!

Oh man would Ceiba be hot in May. Hope you got to Pico Bonito for Lovely Continga etc.

You may be interested in a book entiled Bananas (?) discussing the banana trade and its effects on Honduras. I will find the details and post them.

I look forward to hearing some more about where you visited and the birds that you saw. I also look forward to seeing your photos.
If you used my website at all for planning the trip, I would welcome any feedback on changes so that I can update it. Some of these sites have not been visited by me for a few years now.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back