• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID, Notts/Lincs, UK (1 Viewer)

binka

Hi, first of all I'd like to make clear that I'm not a dedicated birder but occasionally take a bit of an interest - so my knowledge of birds is not great. Saying that I've grown up in the country and am quite used to seeing a variety of birds and am normally able to ID most of them.

I was out today, just dog walking with a friend, so no binoculars. We saw 2 birds today that I'm puzzled as to what they were. Farmland habitat, we heard them first as they were making a very loud squealing/squeaking noise. They were about the size of a seagull maybe a bit bigger, brown on top but white/cream underneath. Their tails had a distinct white band/stripe across the width of the tail. Tail didn't appear to be forked. Not close enough to see beak or legs in any detail.

They were acting quite oddly as well, flying in circles around a tree making all this racket and zooming up and down rapidly while flying. One of them later did perch in the tree for a bit before flying again. Any ideas?

I'd thought buzzard at first, certainly similar but looking at pics online the white banding on the tail that we say doesn't seem to be there. Have just seen a picture of a honey buzzard though on the RSPB site and it looked a lot more like that.

Honey buzzard is a rare and discreet bird - Common buzzard is very variable and your description is perfect.

Don't get too close, no point disturbing them when they'll undoubtedly have chicks.

Try and get a picture though, just to be sure!

if binka thought they were Buzzards at first Lapwing sounds a bit too implausible to me!

and Hone Buzzards almost always nest in big woods anyway, whereas Buzzards are quite happy to nest in an isolated tree in rural areas, provided they have a decent hunting area.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back