• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samut Prakan, Bangkok earlier this morning (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird watches!

I was out looking for birds this morning and I was exploring an area with fish ponds. I have seen a few birds, but I ran in to trouble with the ID for three of them.

Picture 1) I have no idea, a wag tail that will be yellow. I think it might be a Eastern Yellow Wagtail based on the head colour with no brow

Picture 2) My first thought was a barn swallow. But white throat so no barn swallow. There is a redish band on the throat and there is nothing looking like this is my book.

Picture 3) Brown Headed Gull, because of the white eyes, Black Headed Gull have dark eyes according to my book, other wise they look the same for me. Sitting down that is, flying and it is quite easy to see the different wing patterns.

Any ideas on my birds?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 330.jpg
    330.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 331.jpg
    331.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 63
pale eyes, slightly more massive bill than blackheaded, and the head spot looks bigger and more rounded to me than in typical blackheaded.
there would also be some size difference if you saw them together and in flying birds wing pattern is different

I agree, and a very good bird for Bangkok! Very few records in Thailand away from the Mekong and the far north as far as I'm aware.
They are quite localised in the N and extreme E of the country. This is a 1st year bird on account of dull brown cap, some buff on lower throat + unmoulted outer remiges. According to The Birds of the Bangkok Area (Appendix 1) only 1 previous record for the Lower Central Plains.

Grahame

Last edited:
pale eyes, slightly more massive bill than blackheaded, and the head spot looks bigger and more rounded to me than in typical blackheaded.
there would also be some size difference if you saw them together and in flying birds wing pattern is different
Thanks again Joern!

I know about the different shapes of the head, but when they are not together I am not able to see the difference. For me it is only easy to see the difference in flight.

I appreciate that you took the time and I learn a little everyday!

Cheers
Aladdin

I'm not very familiar with Wire-tailed Swallow, but why isn't this an unmoulted juvenile Barn Swallow? The throat on young birds often fades to white over the course of the winter, until replaced by fresh rufous feathers when the bird moults - this would explain why the lower throat shows some rufous. The brownish crown could also be retained, faded juvenile feathers, especially combined with the backlighting providing a contrast, and I think I can see some difference between a paler forehead and darker crown. There seem to be a few blue feathers at the side of the breast, in the right location for the breast band (which is weaker on gutturalis than on some other subspecies), whereas there are no apparent blue feathers behind the legs, as shown on photos of Wire-tailed. The tail shape is hard to judge but seems to have a 2nd feather about half way along the length of the longest feather, suggesting a more gradual fork rather than the more square-tipped shape of Wire-tailed. Do you have any more photos, Aladdin?

Edit: Adding photos to hopefully illustrate what I'm trying to say with the head pattern:

Last edited:
I agree the wagtail is first winter Yellow. I'm not sure whether you tell if it's Western thunbergi or Eastern macronyx, which both have a dark grey head and little or no supercilium. I guess macronyx is more likely in Bangkok?

I'm not very familiar with Wire-tailed Swallow, but why isn't this an unmoulted juvenile Barn Swallow? The throat on young birds often fades to white over the course of the winter, until replaced by fresh rufous feathers when the bird moults - this would explain why the lower throat shows some rufous. The brownish crown could also be retained, faded juvenile feathers, especially combined with the backlighting providing a contrast, and I think I can see some difference between a paler forehead and darker crown. There seem to be a few blue feathers at the side of the breast, in the right location for the breast band (which is weaker on gutturalis than on some other subspecies), whereas there are no apparent blue feathers behind the legs, as shown on photos of Wire-tailed. The tail shape is hard to judge but seems to have a 2nd feather about half way along the length of the longest feather, suggesting a more gradual fork rather than the more square-tipped shape of Wire-tailed. Do you have any more photos, Aladdin?
Should have been much more cautious with this especially given the significance of the record. On reflection agree with anomalies John has raised which are at odds with Wire-tailed and combined indicate transitional young Barn Swallow.

Grahame

I agree the wagtail is first winter Yellow. I'm not sure whether you tell if it's Western thunbergi or Eastern macronyx, which both have a dark grey head and little or no supercilium. I guess macronyx is more likely in Bangkok?
Thank you johnallcock!

I reported the bird as an Eastern Yellow Wagtail (Manchurian) Motacilla tschutschensis macronyx Mongolian Yellow Wagtail in my book from Thailand

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Edit: Adding photos to hopefully illustrate what I'm trying to say with the head pattern:
Thanks johnallcock!

No more pictures, I got a few pictures, same pose but with the head turned away so not possible to see the throat. This was the only picture that was any good

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Should have been much more cautious with this especially given the significance of the record. On reflection agree with anomalies John has raised which are at odds with Wire-tailed and combined indicate transitional young Barn Swallow.

Grahame
Thank you Grahame Walbridge!

I reported the bird as a Wire tail in eBird and they are usually quick to come back if there is any incorrect ID

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back