• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stormont Loch, Perthshire (1 Viewer)

sdoig

Me and Ian Graham had a walk round Stormont last Wednesday. I've passed it from the road so many times without havin ga look.

The first thing that struck us was the amount of Mute Swan!! - I counted 120 but that was only from one clearing and there could realistically have been upwards of 200. Is this a known and well used place for Mutes in the winter??

Other wildfowl - Close to 100 coot, At least 50 for Mallard, tufty and wigeon, a dozen goldeneye a dozen Canada Goose and half a dozen Goosander.

The walk around the loch looked promising , but apart from a very large flock of chaffinch/yellowhammer, there wasnt much (though to be fair we ere losing the light a bit)

Anyway, the north bank in particular was full of mature Scots Pine and looks like a great place for birds at the right time.

Anyone on here go this venue? Does it throw up some good stuff??

I've not been there for years, I wonder if it's changed since then.

I couldn't get any decent view of the water, and although there was supposed to be a hide, I couldn't find any sign of it. It looks like I need to try again, doesn't it!

D

Theres about three clearings along the track which give a half decent view of the loch . (As a former fisherman myself, I can tell that the clearings have probably been created by fisherman to give a space for casting out etc, what a mess of discarded cans etc there was. :( )

No sign of a hide!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back