• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Konuspot 80 vs Celestron 80 (1 Viewer)

Chet

I am looking into a spotting scope to replace my Celestron C-90, I am after a Konuspot 80 or the New Celestron Ultima 80 Spotting Scope 52250 any comments on which would be the better choice for target shooting.

thanks
Chet

Chet said:
I am looking into a spotting scope to replace my Celestron C-90, I am after a Konuspot 80 or the New Celestron Ultima 80 Spotting Scope 52250 any comments on which would be the better choice for target shooting.

thanks
Chet

Well, for target shooting, the larger scope would be easier to hit.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;)

Seriously, you will probably get few responses on this forum about either of the scopes you mentioned. Swarovski, Leica, Nikon, and possibly Pentax seem to be the magic words.

I am interested in the Celestron 80mm 20-60x scope. It looks pretty good to me. Astronomics.com carries it for a good price. Adorama.com carries it for cheaper but I would rather deal with Astronomics. I've done business with them before and I have never had a problem. Actually, I've never had a problem with Adorama, either. You just have to deal with abrupt and sometimes surly New Yawkers. Astronomics has free shipping on their scopes and binocs -- so the prices might even out.

Some people talk about the ED version of the Celestron 80mm but it's over $300 more and I just don't think that price is justified for putting an ED element into an otherwise identical scope. Astronomers are skeptical that ED does much to elminate optical deficiencies at low powers, anyway. But you will hear differently from others on this forum -- many who have sunk big bucks into scopes and binocs with ED lenses.

I am curious why you are dissatisfied with the C90 -- that is also a scope that I am looking at. For birdwatching, the C90 has some limitations as far as slow focusing and the use of powers lower than about 30x -- but for targetshooting, I can't imagine those are real issues. The target is stationary, and higher powers can only be better, right? Just based on my experience with my daughter's 4-H shooting sports group.

A quick look at the Konuspot 80 leads me to believe that it is identical to the Celestron 80. Celestron products are made in China and Japan -- I would imagine that Konus is too.

Last edited:
C-90

trashbird said:
Well, for target shooting, the larger scope would be easier to hit.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;)

Seriously, you will probably get few responses on this forum about either of the scopes you mentioned. Swarovski, Leica, Nikon, and possibly Pentax seem to be the magic words.

I am interested in the Celestron 80mm 20-60x scope. It looks pretty good to me. Astronomics.com carries it for a good price. Adorama.com carries it for cheaper but I would rather deal with Astronomics. I've done business with them before and I have never had a problem. Actually, I've never had a problem with Adorama, either. You just have to deal with abrupt and sometimes surly New Yawkers. Astronomics has free shipping on their scopes and binocs -- so the prices might even out.

Some people talk about the ED version of the Celestron 80mm but it's over $300 more and I just don't think that price is justified for putting an ED element into an otherwise identical scope. Astronomers are skeptical that ED does much to elminate optical deficiencies at low powers, anyway. But you will hear differently from others on this forum -- many who have sunk big bucks into scopes and binocs with ED lenses.

I am curious why you are dissatisfied with the C90 -- that is also a scope that I am looking at. For birdwatching, the C90 has some limitations as far as slow focusing and the use of powers lower than about 30x -- but for targetshooting, I can't imagine those are real issues. The target is stationary, and higher powers can only be better, right? Just based on my experience with my daughter's 4-H shooting sports group.

A quick look at the Konuspot 80 leads me to believe that it is identical to the Celestron 80. Celestron products are made in China and Japan -- I would imagine that Konus is too.

Sir

I didn't get the name. If you are interested I have my C-90 about 6mos old complete with case and I purchased a 20mm wide angle from Owl Services a few weeks ago, my buddy has a Kowa and it is a nice scope, but cost alot more, I am going to upgrade, I"ll take $200 for it, I probably have $250 plus invested. If you know anyone interested please let me know,

thanks
Chet

Chet said:
Sir

I didn't get the name. If you are interested I have my C-90 about 6mos old complete with case and I purchased a 20mm wide angle from Owl Services a few weeks ago, my buddy has a Kowa and it is a nice scope, but cost alot more, I am going to upgrade, I"ll take $200 for it, I probably have $250 plus invested. If you know anyone interested please let me know,

thanks
Chet

Chet, I'm not sure what I want yet, but thanks for the offer.

-- Jim

Celestron !!!

Chet said:

thanks
Chet
hI I JUST BUY A CELESTRON angle 80MM .I am industrial photographer, so i know what i am talking about optics.I really beleive the Celestron is an unsurpassed value ,compare to all the other i have to look in.I had the opportunity to compare with pentax 80mm, kowa 82mm (not ed), ziess diascope 85mm.I take all my time ,my conclusion is the diascope from ziess is clearly the winner in term of luminosity , contrast and micro-contrast, flatness of the field, neutrality of color.My second choice ,the one i like for feeling of what i see!!! ergonomy , and aestethic of image, is the Kowa.But for the price,if you limit the power to 45x , the celestron cant be beat.And if you dont have all the other side by side to compare, you wont see the difference. :brains: So dont be shy to try celestron 80mm .Marc.

Hi Marc, just wanna know is your celestron is ED version or not. and do you have chance to look through it's littel brother celestron ultima 65mm? how's its performance?

celestron ultima

holam_4 said:
Hi Marc, just wanna know is your celestron is ED version or not. and do you have chance to look through it's littel brother celestron ultima 65mm? how's its performance?
Hi mine is NOT ED , standart version,the difference with 65mm is enormous,stay 80mm .Really for the price it is impossible to beat.Marc.

...Swarovski, Leica, Nikon, and possibly Pentax seem to be the magic words.

Largely since they are nice scopes. I personally only know about the Swarovski, but from owning one I absolutely LOVE it :king: Only downside to it is that it will cost you an arm and a couple legs to buy it :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back