• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens cleaning recommendation requested (1 Viewer)

kcdauber

BabaRyan
I have a Nikon ED82. What should I use to clean the lens? I'm a bit nervous about coated lenses. Any advice appreciated. Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

I reccomend to get a blower ,to get dust out of the way,then a soft cloth to GENTLY touch off any grease or fingerprints,And more important,not care too much about having done a pristine Job..mantain the lenses decent,but dont get obsesive looking for spots to rub off..I would NEVER use paper to clean the lens,EVEN if you bought such thing as disposable paper lens tissue in a camera shop ,I have had a HORRIBLE experience with my eyeglasses,using a paper lens cleaner ,that did pretty much what sandpaper would have done...

i agree -i don't like lens tissue -once you fold it /scrunch it it can be abrasive. you can use alochol/acetone or windex -with a soft Q-tip with a wooden shaft

I wouldnt use windex and definitely WOULD NOT USE ACETONE!..Acetone more likely would REMOVE coatings on contact!!!!!!!!..a touch of water with a drop of natural diswasher soap(the type that has not color or perfume,and usually sales in the BIO -organic section)is more than enough ,I would say!!!!

I wouldnt use windex and definitely WOULD NOT USE ACETONE!..Acetone more likely would REMOVE coatings on contact!!!!!!!!..a touch of water with a drop of natural diswasher soap(the type that has not color or perfume,and usually sales in the BIO -organic section)is more than enough ,I would say!!!!

Agreed, acetone is a pretty aggressive solvent. If you need to use a solvent to degrease use IPA (iso Propyl Alcohol).

No oxide coating (and that's what the AR coatings are) will come off with an organic solvent. They're not that delicate.

That said I wouldn't use acetone because of possible impact on either the seals keeping the scope waterproof. Or on coatings on the outside of the scope or plastic composite parts of the scope.

I fully agree with liquid disk soap/detergent and water for more stubborn stains. Or IPA (useful for removing water at the end of a clean) but make sure you get pure IPA otherwise you can leave a residue.

On non-waterproof scopes (where I can't be sure how watertight the seals are) I sometimes use water+detergent on a cloth then "rinse" with water on a cloth and finish with IPA as that helps remove the water. Or just IPA applied to a cloth.

Water is your friend! Mostly.

ALWAYS make sure the dust and fine grit is blown, brushed, or rinsed off before using anything. I once scratched the heck out of a Minox MD62 because I was out hunting and used a disposable lens cloth before I removed the grit. In a pinch I have even licked my bino oculars with my tongue before using the pre-moistened clothes as a shortcut LOL.... But when back country hunting sometimes beggers just have to get by when you have a drop of sweat fall on the lenses.
When at home I use the sprayer of the kitchen sink to blast off any heavy dust. When hunting I sometimes get into a lot of fine dust in the mountains and grasslands and it can really build up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back