• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life

Sunday 01 February
9:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC1 North West
Documentary. Passionate Darwinian David Attenborough, who sees evolution as the cornerstone of all the series he has ever made, shares his personal view on Darwin's controversial idea. Journeying through the last two hundred years, he tracks the changes in our understanding of the natural world, and asks three key questions: How, and why, did Darwin come up with his theory? Why do most people think he was right? And why is it more important now than ever before?

VIDEO Plus+: 5159

Ann

Hi Andrew,

I am ok thanks, hope you are well too.

Sorry my brain is rusty and I forgot not all areas show the same programmes at the same time but you and others I hope will be pleased to know The Tree of Life is being screened nationwide as of now but of course subject to the BBC changing things around at the last moment. Just for you I will keep my eye on this one.

Ann :egghead::t:

There is an article in the new edition of BBC Wildlife Magazine. I will be glued to it. Read many books on Darwin in my younger days.....(Too many years ago now !!)

I just saw a trailer for this on the TV and I was massivley excited. I'm a total Attenborough junkie and Life on Earth was probably one of the most influential books/TV programs I have ever read/seen and a formative influence on my perspective on natural history. Should be compulsory reading for kids.

I think the back of the Ten pound note tells the story of Darwin, The Beagle and the Galapagos islands. The Hummingbird featured on the Tenner was what got me into that species (believe it or not!)
I'll probably watch it and see what it's like :t:

Looks a very good progamme Ann, and thank you for drawing our attention to it. Well worth a listen whether it be on TV or Radio.

I bought the BBC Wildlife Magazine February 2009, and it has a big interesting article about this program. So the article is worth a read too, to support the programme

David Attenborough is on the front cover of this magazine too. :-O

Check this out, is it just me or is this rubbish ?

http://www.darwinismrefuted.com/index.php

All those sites are rubbish. It's not proper science, it's just wa wa noises for people desperate to cling on to their favoured brand of middle ages superstition and claptrap as a way to explain the universe to latch on to.

Web Loonies said:
For some people, the very concept of natural history implies the theory of evolution. The reason for this is the heavy propaganda that has been carried out. Natural history museums in most countries are under the control of materialist evolutionary biologists, and it is they who describe the exhibits in them. They invariably describe creatures that lived in prehistory and their fossil remains in terms of Darwinian concepts. One result of this is that most people think that natural history is equivalent to the concept of evolution.

However, the facts are very different. Natural history reveals that different classes of life emerged on the earth not through any evolutionary process, [highlight]but all at once, and with all their complex structures fully developed right from the start. Different living species appeared completely independently of one another, and with no "transitional forms" between them.[/highlight]

It's Creationist twaddle.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back