• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bees and Flies in South England (1 Viewer)

Tim100

1 - Bee in Essex
2 - Fly ? in Hertfordshire
3 - Bee in Kent
4 - Bee / wasp in Kent last summer. (Bad picture but flew at speed and alone) Likes the snowberry shrub.
5 - Fly Essex
6 - Fly Kent

Attachments

• Essex5.JPG
    Essex5.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 31
  • Herts1.JPG
    Herts1.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Kent9.JPG
    Kent9.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Kent3.jpg
    Kent3.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Essex7.JPG
    Essex7.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 33
No disrespect, but the vast majority of insects cannot be identified to species from good images, let alone poor ones. The furthest you're likely to get with these is genus and some of them not even that far!

RB

Agree with comments on images but reckon 2 is one of the 2 Eristalinus hoverflies + 5 one of the Chrysops sp horseflies.

Image one has a feel of the solitary bee Macropis europaea about it, I agree about 2 being an Eristalinus sp, Image three has a feel of Andrena flavipes, 4 with that amount of darkness on the abdomen has a feel of the wasp Dolichovespula media, 5 I agree is one of the Chrysops flies and 6 is a heteropteran bug, not a fly at all.

Thanks all.

To clarify I have used snipping tool (to meet forum size limits) which means you now can't zoom without losing lots of quality. Many were taken with my mobile and a few in low light (forgot to put flash on)

I really just wanted a flavour of what they may be and then I can have a look online for more detail.

I will try to put up a better reflection of the raw image in future.

Thanks again.

Picture for Fly 6

#6 appears to be Eremocoris podagricus which would be a good find, but really need better photos. Of the others #1 has 3 submarginal so can't be Macropis, I can't even suggest a genus. Eristslinus and Chrysops correct, other two hymenoptera need better photos/specimen.

Thanks all.

To clarify I have used snipping tool (to meet forum size limits) which means you now can't zoom without losing lots of quality. Many were taken with my mobile and a few in low light (forgot to put flash on)

I really just wanted a flavour of what they may be and then I can have a look online for more detail.

I will try to put up a better reflection of the raw image in future.

Thanks again.

Hi Tim,

Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't just being critical of your photography for the sake of it. Even excellent photographs are useless for entomological identifications in most cases, where microscopic examination of a specimen is necessary! Even with relatively 'easy' species, unless you know how to photograph to get the diagnostic features (if indeed it is possible to photograph them in the field at all), its unlikely you'll get images good enough to identify to species. FWIW, I'm in agreement with the comments made by others on images 2 & 5.

RB

Thanks for explaining RB and that is very useful information. :) Is better I know how I.d. works in the insect world!

Ficedula, thanks very much for your input :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back