• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbills (1 Viewer)

Humph

I have 2 birder visitors from the US staying with us in the Aberdeen area for a short time. They are interested at seeing crossbills. Has anyone made any recent sightings within 90 miles of Aberdeen?

Humph, on behalf of the admin team and all the moderators, welcome to Bird Forum. I hope you find plenty of interest here and that you will enjoy taking part in the discussions.

I'm sure someone will be along to answer your question before too long. You've certainly come to the right place to ask.

Hi Humph,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

Hi Humph,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Last autumn's cone crop failure has meant the last 9 months or so have been exceptionally poor for Crossbills, almost none anywhere.

The new 2004 crop is fairly good though, and from what I've heard, there's been a trickle of birds arriving to use it, which will probably turn into a flood in about a month or so as the crop matures.

Your best option is to look for mature plantations of early-ripening species like Sitka Spruce. That's where they'll go for first. Pines are later-ripening and their new cones won't be usable yet.

Michael

Been asked :flowers: to post a bit on identifying Sitka Spruce . . . :brains:

Looks like a 'standard' christmas tree (which is Norway Spruce), except:
(1) slightly longer, and much sharper needles (painful to grasp!)
(2) foliage green above, blue-white below (Norway Spruce green on both sides)
(3) cones pale brown, with 'papery' scales (yellow-green to reddish at this time of year when immature), 5-10cm long

Also: Sitka Spruce is the most abundant tree in Britain, planted in huge numbers in Forestry Commission & other plantations - they're all over in Scotland, Wales, northern & western England, e.g. 80% of Kielder Forest is Sitka Spruce (which is why they're important for Crossbills)

Pics below:

1 Young Sitka Spruce. 2 Sitka Spruce foliage. 3 Sitka Spruce cone. 4 Scots Pine for comparison

Michael

Attachments

• Piceasitchensis.jpg
    Piceasitchensis.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Piceasitchensis1.jpg
    Piceasitchensis1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 144
  • PCsitchensis1.JPG
    PCsitchensis1.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Pinsyl2.JPG
    Pinsyl2.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Humph said:
I have 2 birder visitors from the US staying with us in the Aberdeen area for a short time. They are interested at seeing crossbills. Has anyone made any recent sightings within 90 miles of Aberdeen?

Not recent (I was last there in 1991), but Glen Tanar would be one of the best bets.

Hello

Probably just about in range is Loch an Eilean, a little south of Coylumbridge in Speyside. After a fruitless search for Crossbills in April of this year at several sites (Abernethy Forest etc), we ended up at this very attractive Loch. The best site (and where we saw them) was in the picnic site adjacent to the small visitor centre shop. The birds perched on the fence post before dropping onto the ground only a few feet away. Such was the proximity of the views that we were happy to take as Scottish Crossbill (Loxia scotica) rather than Common Crossbill.

When startled the birds only flew into the surrounding trees before returning when all went quiet. Crested Tits are numerous here as well, the trees on the lochside close to the visitor centre shop again being the best bet.

Steve

Hi Humph and welcome to Birdforum

As Michael has said. It could be difficult to locate the Crossbills this year but here are a few sites for you to think about.

The nearest possibilty to you is near Aboyne at Glen Tanar (NO474955 to park up). From there it is about a mile to a mile & a half to NO462941 where you might find these birds.

Next is all around the Abernethy Forest area. Locations to look are Forest Lodge NH019161, Tore Hill NH992179, The Loch Mallachie circular trail starting at NH972185, areas around Loch Garten itself. Loch an Eileen NH896085 (as mentioned in an earlier post). Grantown on Spey NH045284 where you take a well marked forest walk for about a mile.

There are possibly more that other members might know but I think that I have listed possibly the best places to give you a chance to find both species of Crossbills

Hello , if you can't seem to find Sitka spruce , try looking for European Larch , another favourite of Crossbill , and , if you can hear them but they remain difficult to see , try waiting ( hidden ! ) by the nearest largish puddle , being seed eaters they need to drink a bit more than other birds . Hope this might help !!

Ashley.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back