• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DPP 4.5.0 and 4.5.1 crashing issue (1 Viewer)

mike_gss

VERY new birder
Hi,

Anyone else having problems with Canon's DPP software? I upgraded (from 4.0 I think) to 4.5.0 a month or so ago and the program keeps crashing. Not immediately, but when I attempt to view the contents of certain folders the thumbnail screen does not "draw" anything and the program "stops working".

Today I noticed Canon's website has a minor update (4.5.1) which was created on October 15th and which I downloaded today hoping that it would solve the issue but it doesn't.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers,
Mike

I have no experience in that program, but if you are outside DPP and try viewing the content of files in those folders using other windows programs does that work?

Niels

Hi Niels,

Yes, viewing the image files using the Windows viewer and Picasa is no problem.

To elaborate a little on the problem, DPP 4.5.0/4.5.1 seems to work fine when editing RAWs, but it's when attempting to view files in certain directories that it crashes.

I've rolled back to version 3.13.10.0 (why all the numbers??? :) ) - which was the version I originally installed a couple of years ago - and that version works perfectly. The early version of DPP 4.0 also worked fine but the problem began when I installed the first 4.5.0 version update a couple of months ago and continues now with this recent 4.5.1 upgrade.

(Unfortunately I've lost the 4.0 installation file otherwise I would have simply rolled back to that version and carried on with it.).

I've looked on the internet and DPP crashes seem to have been around since the program came out (I've seen references dating back to 2008) but I can't find anything specific to this latest problem. It's a pity because DPP does everything I want to do. I've got nothing against Lightroom but I'd rather spend the £100 or so on something else. After all, DPP is free and I'd rather not be forced into using Lightroom, as good as I'm sure that program seems to be.

Updated to 4.5.10 this evening and tested. Appears to run perfectly OK on my Win10 PC - if anything it seems faster than 4.0. No problems with image loading for over 40 directories I opened. Sorry......

M.

Does DPP use a database as its base? if so, might be worth it to try to do some database maintenance.

Niels

Hello:

It appears you and I have a similar problem, only mine seems to occur with any and all versions of DPP. What I've discovered is that if there is a file in the directory I am currently in to view another photo file, and this file has been handled by certain non-Canon, such as Photomatix for instance, DPP will somehow detect it and eventually crash. It takes awhile, or if you actually attempt to open one of these files, no time at all.

I can be cruising around from directory to directory with no issues until I hit one of these software land mines, then it happens. I dealt with this maddening nuisance for five years until I stumbled on the following: If I take all files handled by other software (such as DxO for photos taken with a non-Canon lens, and especially Photomatix) and place them in a directory kept off limits to DPP, everything will work just fine. DPP just doesn't seem to "like" other software touching its RAW files! Picky!!
Hope this helps,
HD

Hi,

Anyone else having problems with Canon's DPP software? I upgraded (from 4.0 I think) to 4.5.0 a month or so ago and the program keeps crashing. Not immediately, but when I attempt to view the contents of certain folders the thumbnail screen does not "draw" anything and the program "stops working".

Today I noticed Canon's website has a minor update (4.5.1) which was created on October 15th and which I downloaded today hoping that it would solve the issue but it doesn't.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers,
Mike

Re: The DPP crashing unexpectedly:
Hello:

It appears you and I have a similar problem, only mine seems to occur with any and all versions of DPP. What I've discovered is that if there is a file in the directory I am currently in to view another photo file, and this file has been handled by certain non-Canon, such as Photomatix for instance, DPP will somehow detect it and eventually crash. It takes awhile, or if you actually attempt to open one of these files, no time at all.

I can be cruising around from directory to directory with no issues until I hit one of these software land mines, then it happens. I dealt with this maddening nuisance for five years until I stumbled on the following: If I take all files handled by other software (such as DxO for photos taken with a non-Canon lens, and especially Photomatix) and place them in a directory kept off limits to DPP, everything will work just fine. DPP just doesn't seem to "like" other software touching its RAW files! Picky!!
Hope this helps,
HD

Hi again all,

Thanks again for all the comments. Niels, I'm not sure if DPP uses a separate database. I don't *think* it does but even if it did I'm not sure how I could get into it to do any maintenance.

When I read Henderson's post, that seemed to ring several bells. Over the years I've used several different camera systems and several different photo-processing packages so I would say quite a few of my folders will have mixed images in them. I guess that eventually DPP will detect all the non-Canon images and the number of folders on which it will crash will eventually increase to the point that using DPP becomes impractical. This is a shame as it's a perfectly adequate non-destructive RAW processing program that does what I need it to do. As you say, "picky" :-C :-O

Meanwhile I'll continue to use it and just avoid attempting to access the folders which trigger the crashes. They will contain JPG images only and DPP is not a JPG editor in any case. I can easily view the folders' contents using other image viewing software.

Thanks again all. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back