• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brief note on Canon 10x30 IS Battery Door issue (4 Viewers)

I have a Canon 12x36 IS pair, and when I opened the battery door recently, the metal plate and spring went flying. I have the door and metal plate, but not the spring. I have been using tape to keep the battery door closed, but that is not a good solution. Does anyone know the size of the spring and a good source for buying the spring?
Hi Russell! Mine was broken yesterday, so I measured the spring. It is 5mm long, and the diameter is 2mm. Now trying to fix (glue) it.

Sig Sauer 10x30.
As I said earlier SIG don't design or manufacture binoculars, they just pay Kamakura to write SIG on some of their standard binoculars so they can sell them under their brand. As do Kite, Opticron and Vixen (maybe more). All of those that seem the same I would expect to be the same.

I have a, quite old now, mk 1 pair of Canon 10x30 IS binoculars that I have been delighted with. I have had two issues over the years. One was that the focusing knob's rubber-like plastic went a bit gooey, but I got a replacement from Canon and exchanged it myself. Yesterday I had a new issue - when I took them out of their bag the batteries fell on the floor (at Astronomy club, so dark, yea). I picked up the batteries but the plastic door was just a plastic door and no metal was present, nor any way to have it stay shut. There was signs of some adhesive on the inside of the door which I assume had given up after all these years, not to mention temperature records being repeatedly broken this summer (and they live in a South-facing room in a Northern-Hemisphere house).

Anyway after MUCH searching I found three parts had escaped - the metal plate that connects the batteries together electrically, a small piece of black plastic that looks like it broke off something else, but has the bar you use to unlock the battery compartment on one side; and a small silver spring the size of a not-large Ant (shocker - I found that last).

So basically if this happens to you they are the bits you need to find, especially the spring. It's shiny so a torch may well help even in daylight.

Re-assembly - put the spring over the teeny protrusion on one end of the slider then fit it in the small channel in the battery door designed for the spring, with the bar pushing through the hole. Add the metal part so the battery orientation marks are visible (there's a notch for orientation once you've got the correct side facing out) and fix together with your glue or other adhesive method of choice.

I may just put a small piece of gaffer tape over the battery door, so if it fails again the bits won't escape. I think I'd suggest this for anyone who has an old pair of the 10x30 IS, as the spring is teeny tiny.
Do you have any idea how to replace the entire battery door?

Do you have any idea how to replace the entire battery door?
I think it depends what's broken or failed. I'd try and find out who provides Canon spare parts in the U.S. and ask them what parts are available. Also perhaps they have the full parts drawing that I posted part of (the only part I have) earlier in the thread.
Good Luck!

I have a, quite old now, mk 1 pair of Canon 10x30 IS binoculars that I have been delighted with. I have had two issues over the years. One was that the focusing knob's rubber-like plastic went a bit gooey, but I got a replacement from Canon and exchanged it myself. Yesterday I had a new issue - when I took them out of their bag the batteries fell on the floor (at Astronomy club, so dark, yea). I picked up the batteries but the plastic door was just a plastic door and no metal was present, nor any way to have it stay shut. There was signs of some adhesive on the inside of the door which I assume had given up after all these years, not to mention temperature records being repeatedly broken this summer (and they live in a South-facing room in a Northern-Hemisphere house).

Anyway after MUCH searching I found three parts had escaped - the metal plate that connects the batteries together electrically, a small piece of black plastic that looks like it broke off something else, but has the bar you use to unlock the battery compartment on one side; and a small silver spring the size of a not-large Ant (shocker - I found that last).

So basically if this happens to you they are the bits you need to find, especially the spring. It's shiny so a torch may well help even in daylight.

Re-assembly - put the spring over the teeny protrusion on one end of the slider then fit it in the small channel in the battery door designed for the spring, with the bar pushing through the hole. Add the metal part so the battery orientation marks are visible (there's a notch for orientation once you've got the correct side facing out) and fix together with your glue or other adhesive method of choice.

I may just put a small piece of gaffer tape over the battery door, so if it fails again the bits won't escape. I think I'd suggest this for anyone who has an old pair of the 10x30 IS, as the spring is teeny tiny.
I have the same binoculars, and the same issue with the focus knob getting gummy. I see the part on eBay for ~ USD16. What's involved in replacing it?

TIA, Mike

While answering a question elsewhere on the forum I ran down a partial parts diagram for the mk 1 10x30s in my old e-mails, so I'll add that here too...
The focusing knob that went gooey is #35 in the image and its part number is YA7-0645-000 (£14 delivered in 2018 from [email protected] ).
When I click on this image, it is severely cropped, missing part of the image. Does it look that way to you, or am I doing it wrong?

When I click on this image, it is severely cropped, missing part of the image. Does it look that way to you, or am I doing it wrong?
Yes, they just sent me the part of the image that referred to the focusing knob. It was extremely easy to replace... peel off the sticky bit on the front, unscrew, replace, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back