• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large gulls in Tanzania (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi guys !

This is an old photo, from September 2010 on Lukuba Island, Lake Victoria.

At the time, very excited by the find of the first Yellow-legged Gull of the country, I didn't check much and just put them down as LBBG.

I now wonder if they are fuscus or heuglini and also curious about respective age/moult stage of those two individuals.

Thanks

Attachments

• Larus_fuscus_tzbf.jpg
    Larus_fuscus_tzbf.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 54
hi valery,

i find it rather hard to decide if the apparently pale mantled bird is a female baltic gull or a heuglini. fresh mantle and coverts of baltic gull in strong light can appear surprizingly pale at times. still these would be very pale for nominate fuscus, so, also with its long greenish yellow legs i'd call it a 2cy female type heuglini.
the bird in the back seems to be a (male type) 2cy baltic gull, retarded.

hi valery,

i find it rather hard to decide if the apparently pale mantled bird is a female baltic gull or a heuglini. fresh mantle and coverts of baltic gull in strong light can appear surprizingly pale at times. still these would be very pale for nominate fuscus, so, also with its long greenish yellow legs i'd call it a 2cy female type heuglini.
the bird in the back seems to be a (male type) 2cy baltic gull, retarded.

Is an heuglini, even a female, can be so slim, thin beaked and slender compared to a fuscus ? I had in mind that heuglini was larger.

I might have a couple of more photos from Sultanat of Oman for you, barabensis / heuglini... :smoke:

looking forward to them, valery, but as you know they are tricky o:)
and yes, females of a larger, more massive taxon can well be much more slender than males of a generally smaller, elegant taxon, like in baltic and heuglin's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back