• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

teleconverter (1 Viewer)

sless

just a quick question
is it worth me getting a sigma/canon 2x or 1.4 x teleconverter to use with my canon eos 500d camera and sigma 150-500mm lens for closer up shots from distance
many thanks

so one of these wont fetch the bird closer and be a good closer photo
sorry im not clued up on all of this
many thanks

They do make the bird closer ,the problem is that with a converter on you will have to manual focus as the lens wont af with a converter on ,so it makes it harder to get a in focus shot so you are always better off trying to get closer rather than use a converter.If you have to use a converter then be prepared to get a lot of bad shots,if you only want the distance shots as refference and not decent pics then you wont be too dissapointed .I dont use converters unless im doing macro and then its easier because manual focus and and work distance are improved hope this helps.

With practice you can get sharp detailed pics with a teleconvertor,even with manual focus.This was taken with my 450d,Kenko pro 1.4x,Sigma 50-500mm and manually focussed.The 2x convertor is a different matter though and the loss of quality is quite evident.

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 139
Can I add too that you`ll need good light because you`ll be losing 1 stop of light with the tc.

STEVE.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back