• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (2 Viewers)

Thanks.....My first visit to here (at Camp Lane) and everything was too far away for proper pics.Some brill ones on the Flickr site.Looks like there are a lot of different habitats around there.

Keith :t:

Have to give it another go...As I said everything was a long way off with just Bins.I only found a Male Goldeneye.....
Is the path around the bottom of the cereal field ?

Have to give it another go...As I said everything was a long way off with just Bins.I only found a Male Goldeneye.....
Is the path around the bottom of the cereal field ?

Hi Keith,

Yes, the footpath follows the fence line here. It has been moved back to its original course and is not as marked on the OS map. The Smew often frequent the area just east of the arrow or if not there they may be towards the south end of the pit complex.

Brian

Valentines day, so had a day with the love of my life, birding (my girlfriend doesn't read this forum). Haven't visited Grimley for a while now, so i thought i would try and catch up with the smew. Thankfully both were still there, i did try to take a few pics, but they were to distant to for my basic camera. Siskin feeding on the catkins near the north end car park. Found it difficult to count wildfowl numbers but a good showing of pochard, shovler and gadwall. At least 3 little grebes a pair of goldeneye,water rail heard, pair of stock doves in the N/W Field and a raven over.

Never seen so much water here. the central causeway has been overwhelmed. The sightings board at the old barn seems to be obsolete these days anyone know if this is a temporary situation or has the recent weather conditions took its toll?
2nd Pic of the causeway

This is largely due to the sheep and cattle eating Roger's sightings sheets! Also, not so many birders venture down to the barn as they once did now that much of the bird activity is at the north end.

Brian

Did the circuit of the pits from Camp Lane which turned out to be another productive visit this afternoon. Both Smew were still present as well as the stunning male Goldeneye with two females. By the maize field there were 4 Brambling with Chaffinch, including a good looking male. Walking past the old barn a male Merlin flew past, perched up briefly and pursued a flock of Goldfinch!
Back to the gate at Camp Lane a Green Sandpiper and Oystercatcher were feeding along the muddy edge of the first pool.
Had a quick look at the new diggings where a hedge has now been removed between it and the 'sacred field' so called according to the couple living in the white house. Why its sacred they couldn't say! Anyway, a flock of 60 plus Linnet was nice to see.
Apart from the above highlights, 30 plus Wigeon, 10 or so Gadwall, Pochard and Shoveler were also in good numbers. A pleasant if not fresh afternoon!

Only the second time I've been to Grimley and it looked a lot different to the last!! Overcast with flat light made looking for pale birds difficult. No sign of the Smew. Was chatting to a local birder who had seen just one last night. A Green Sandpiper was flushed from the pool on the left just inside the gate and an Oystercatcher was on the edge of the right hand pool. Good numbers of Shoveller, Gadwall, etc. and a pair of Goldeneye. Scoped a Pintail just before I left.

Brian J

North Worcs current premier spot continued to please today in the fine sunshine.
At Sling Pool floods there was an amazing number of Lapwings, I was guessing 600, others 800. Fantastic to see.
Wigeon numbers were very impressive too. There were a couple of Oystercatchers on site of note too.
Over at Camp Lane pits, from the east side I cought glimses of the Smew and good views of the male Pintail before it took to the air, circling and calling before putting down on the West side. The Goldeneye's looked fantastic in the good light that at last blessed a bit of birding.
More glimses of the Smew from the west side later.
Good numbers of Poachard, Tufted, Gadwall, Little Grebe of course, and Great Crested Grebe were displaying. Kingfishers were whizzing about.
Nice to catch up with a few other Birders today, including Mike B and Garry P
Great session
Pic of an obliging Green Woodpecker today

Attachments

• greewoodie.jpg
    greewoodie.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Did the circuit of the camp lane pits this morning. 2 pair of Pintail were present, 2 Redshank feeding on the muddy edge of the first pool, 3 Oystercatcher, the stunning drake Goldeneye with 2 females was still present, but no Smew. 3 Curlew were nice to see. On the passerine front, Meadow Pipits were present in good numbers as were Skylarks. Opposite the new workings there were at least 50 Linnet - and impressive number. By the maize field next to the fishing pool, 2 Brambling were feeding with Chaffinch.
In all 51 species in a couple of hours made for a productive morning.

North Worcs current premier spot continued to please today in the fine sunshine.
At Sling Pool floods there was an amazing number of Lapwings, I was guessing 600, others 800. Fantastic to see.
Wigeon numbers were very impressive too. There were a couple of Oystercatchers on site of note too.
Over at Camp Lane pits, from the east side I cought glimses of the Smew and good views of the male Pintail before it took to the air, circling and calling before putting down on the West side. The Goldeneye's looked fantastic in the good light that at last blessed a bit of birding.
More glimses of the Smew from the west side later.
Good numbers of Poachard, Tufted, Gadwall, Little Grebe of course, and Great Crested Grebe were displaying. Kingfishers were whizzing about.
Nice to catch up with a few other Birders today, including Mike B and Garry P
Great session
Pic of an obliging Green Woodpecker today

The Sling Pool's been good the last few days. I've had a couple of curlew there the one day and on another day snipe.

Mike

A couple of hours at Grimley today. 2 Redshank, 1 Dunlin, 1 Curlew, male Pintail, male and female Goldeneye and 1 Chiffchaff at Camp Lane. Just acouple of Oystercather to not e at Sling Pool.

Productive afternoon. Little Egret, Little Ringed Plover, 3 Redshank, 3 Male and 2 possibly 3 female Brambling, 2 Chiffchaff and 2 male and 1 female Pintail at Camp Lane. Little Ringed Plover and 1 Curlew at Sling Pool.

An even more productive afternoon - OSPREY over Camp Lane pits at 1.30. Circled for three or four minutes being mobbed by crows and gulls, but repeatedly hovered despite the attention. Finally driven away and departed to the North gaining height. Also Little egret and a Green Sand (on Wagon Wheel pits)

An even more productive afternoon - OSPREY over Camp Lane pits at 1.30. Circled for three or four minutes being mobbed by crows and gulls, but repeatedly hovered despite the attention. Finally driven away and departed to the North gaining height. Also Little egret and a Green Sand (on Wagon Wheel pits)

Excellent record! The more coverage the better at Worcestershire's premier birding site ;)

Brian

Excellent record! The more coverage the better at Worcestershire's premier birding site ;)

Brian

Would certainly agree that further coverage at Upton would result in even more great sightings; suppose the same would be true at Grimley 8-P

Seem to be very good numbers of Osprey further south in Somerset and Gloucestershire (eg 4 at Blagdon Lake this evening) so hopefully Worcestershire will get more records as they start to move north.

A quick circuit around Camp Lane Pits early morning produced the Little Egret, 3 Pintail (2 drakes), female Goldeneye, 143+ Teal, 9 Wigeon, 45 Gadwall and 32 Shoveler amongst the common wildfowl. Also 7 Chiffchaffs feeding on the ground.

Brian

A quick circuit around Camp Lane Pits early morning produced the Little Egret, 3 Pintail (2 drakes), female Goldeneye, 143+ Teal, 9 Wigeon, 45 Gadwall and 32 Shoveler amongst the common wildfowl. Also 7 Chiffchaffs feeding on the ground.

Brian

Hi Bri
any lapwings...we have lost all of ours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back