• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No House Martins this year (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

I still haven't seen a House Martin this year, I think I saw one but could've been a swallow (bad views)

Now I've sent this I'll probably see one later... :t:

I saw 2 House Martin and a Swallow in Cornwall in mid January!!!

They are around Jake. Just go to some open water and tilt your head back - I guarantee you will see one within 20 minutes.

Tom.

Most of them around here (Peterborough, UK) are around the breeding colonies now. Just spent lunch at some lakes that would normally only have migrant hirundines and sure enough only two flew by.

In this part of the world I reckon it would be better named Village Martin as there are none in the the city. You have to go out to the towns and villages to find them, although there are a few colonies in the suburbs.

You don't say where you are but I'm willing to bet there are some not too far away.

From the noise coming from just outside the bedroom window this morning, ours probably have chicks.

Oh and a Collared Dove has managed to construct a nest of a dozen twigs between the wall and garden security light, it all looks very precarious, but there is at least one chick in there too.

Dozens around the house last year... none yet this year... will they ever arrive, or have they taken up residence elsewhere???

Hi Jake,

Plenty up here for the last 3 weeks or so

Don't worry if you don't get one now, there'll be masses heading south at the end of the summer, it'll be hard to miss them then

Michael

I ain't no expert!!...hahaha..
But my 'gut feeling' is that the House Martin population around here (Cambs.) has declined considerably...
Yes, I have seen plenty on 'open water' areas...but very few flitting around the houses.
Last year we had a pair build a nest in the eaves of our House...they deserted it, after the local House Sparrows took an interest...and the Sparrows are again using it this year too...
I do love to see House Martins...please tell me, that you all have bucket loads near you!!...

Dave.

Dave,

I've seen Bucket-loads near me.
At Bowling Green Marsh we gloads of SM's and HM's. At times youb can see all 4 common hirundines together.
I know one house which had about 14 House Martin nests last year. Let's hope they colonise them again this year.

Regards,

Padraig.

My experiences so far this year locally:
house martins- more than last year
sand martins- not present here...but seems to be less at sandwell valley
swallows- sameish amount ( a few trickle through)
swifts- much less than last year...maybe bad weather

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back