• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martins (1 Viewer)

Yanky64

United Kingdom
Hi all
we suddenly have about 6 or more house martins interested in a couple of old nests on the house but they have done this before. They seem to come late then half build then desert. We did have them nesting for 2 years about 4 years ago. My questions are
is it not a bit late for nesting?
Is the lack of mud causing problems
they all seem to be landing on the wall resting & taking off. Mind you it is 28° here in Scotland today.
it looks like they are trying to build 2 nests -one front & one back. I’ve wet earthy bits of garden to make it muddy but they haven’t been attracted to it! Is there any chance these nests will come to fruition?
thanks for any info.

If this has happened before it might be worth putting up some artificial nests for future years.

Interestingly, I saw some similar behaviour from House Martins in Aberdeen today. I've not seen any completed nests around my way yet, so I'm wondering if the dry weather is making it hard to fund mud. It may just be that they're late getting started though.

Here, in central Poland, I've seen complete nests as well as other House Martins still carrying nesting material, elsewhere. They seem to be attracted to (very) shallow puddles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back