• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A regular morph of Clouded Yellow? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Last week at Paphos, Cyprus....in a field of Clouded Yellow Butterflies, this anomalous individual, presume just an occasional variant, the yellow replaced by white on the top wing?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1690158.jpeg  Clouded Yellow hellice.jpg
    P1690158.jpeg Clouded Yellow hellice.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 34
  • P1690161.jpeg   Clouded Yellow hellice 2..jpg
    P1690161.jpeg Clouded Yellow hellice 2..jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 20
Not a totally normal female, they too are yellow. But a helice female, a relatively less common form.

Last edited:
Not a totally normal female, they too are yellow. But a helice female, a relatively less common form.[/QUOTE

I'm not sure of the percentage in the population but they are common enough that I've seen several in Southern Britain.

John

I suspect that you get CY's on a fairly regular basis John living in the "deep" South, up "ere in Essix" we don't get them that often, so to see one of the latter would be a bit special!

I suspect that you get CY's on a fairly regular basis John living in the "deep" South, up "ere in Essix" we don't get them that often, so to see one of the latter would be a bit special!

It varies year to year. It's a long time since I've seen a really big invasion of CY (I dimly remember coming back to Porthgwarra village from a seawatch once to find hundreds if not thousands in the fields) but even with only ones and twos about on the South Coast you can still run across helice females. The Dorset coast is quite good, I've definitely seen them at Portland and Winspit.

John

I'm not sure of the percentage in the population but they are common enough that I've seen several in Southern Britain.

In my experience, I would say the helice is frequently less than 10% of the female population, perhaps more in some areas, but certainly less in other areas (maybe only 1-2%).

Last edited:
It varies year to year. It's a long time since I've seen a really big invasion of CY (I dimly remember coming back to Porthgwarra village from a seawatch once to find hundreds if not thousands in the fields) but even with only ones and twos about on the South Coast you can still run across helice females. The Dorset coast is quite good, I've definitely seen them at Portland and Winspit.

John

There were loads of this form on the Scillies one year in the late 90's I think it was.

A

It's certainly stated in the literature that f. helice occurs between 5-10% of the females in a given population, perhaps towards the higher end the further south you go.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back