• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great news on Bats! (1 Viewer)

Great news indeed Pam!:t:
By putting on a lamp and leaving the blinds open insects have been attracted to our living room window and the Bats have been swooping in so closely that we've had a private display most nights for the last few weeks.....wonderful to watch!

PS.I wish I could say I like the new avatar but aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh it's so scary!!!!!!!:eek!:

Great news indeed Pam!:t:
By putting on a lamp and leaving the blinds open insects have been attracted to our living room window and the Bats have been swooping in so closely that we've had a private display most nights for the last few weeks.....wonderful to watch!
PS.I wish I could say I like the new avatar but aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh it's so scary!!!!!!!:eek!:

Indeed what a wonderful sight to see that must be, Ruth!:t: I have seen very few bats around my garden this summer...then again the dreadful summer weather didn't help as I did not sit outside in the evenings as much to watch for them as normal.

What's wrong with my new avatar..tis only a little spider!;)

Hooray! Great news, thanks Pam.

No idea about your Spider, interesting looking chap! :eek!:

I must read up more on Bats as we have just arranged a talk for the local group in 2009 concerning Bats and we are hoping to arrange a Bat and Owl fieldtrip too.

Here is my spider in all it's glory! I found him on my recent holiday!

The spider is not so scary when you see the lovely colouring and patterns close up. Well I don't think so!;)

Attachments

• P1060896.jpg
    P1060896.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 20

The spider is not so scary when you see the lovely colouring and patterns close up. Well I don't think so!;)

It's actually very beautiful Pam and I've even been brave enough to do some searching for an ID for you this afternoon......no luck tho sorry.
The nearest I got was Argiope lobata???? which had the black/white legs but not the right body.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks a lot, Ruth! You are very brave to search for an ID for me. Argiope lobata is a very similiar to my spider though isn't it? Take a look at the link and see what you think. I put into Google male and female and this pic came up. I wonder if the lighting changes the colour of mine and makes it look that bit darker. I am really proud of you being so brave!:clap:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ensa.jpg/250px-Male_and_female_A._appensa.jpg

I am going to put your suggestion on the thread I started in 'Insects etc' and see what happens.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks a lot, Ruth! You are very brave to search for an ID for me. Argiope lobata is a very similiar to my spider though isn't it? Take a look at the link and see what you think.

It certainly looks very similar doesn't it?
Shame no-one has come back to you in the Insect forum......lets hope you get a positive ID soon Pam.

I'm chuffed with your ID, Ruth! It would be nice to get a confirmation that it is as you suggested though!

Hi Pam

Love your news story about the Bats. It is so informative and it brought a smile to my face. :-O

I wondered what type of spider is used as your avaitor, and it is good that you ID'd him.

Keep the news item theme going, as I have always loved that! :-O

Aww Man!
You know when you see something when you really don't want to!
I clicked on your pic Pam! eeew!
Talk about rubber necking! o:D

(well done with the id Ruth (brave girl)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back