• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideal scope for use with monopod only? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Hi all

lately i've been thinking about what kind of scope combination would be idealy suited to be used with a mono pod?

At present i'm using an old opticron scope with a 20-60 zoom,although I sometimes use a tripod I really prefer just to take the scope and either use it handheld or prop it against a gate post etc,seeing as my main form of transport these days is ''shank's pony'' lugging any form of tripod around on foot is a real bind.

Not actually planning on any big purchases in the near future but wondering if other members have found the optimum small scope combination when
using only a mono pod as your support,i'm maybe thinking either a leica 62mm
scope with zoom or 26xww lense or similar zeiss,swarovski etc.

I guess when choosing an eyepiece it really depends on how steady you can hold the scope without the full support of a tripod.

Matt

matt green said:
Hi all

lately i've been thinking about what kind of scope combination would be idealy suited to be used with a mono pod?

At present i'm using an old opticron scope with a 20-60 zoom,although I sometimes use a tripod I really prefer just to take the scope and either use it handheld or prop it against a gate post etc,seeing as my main form of transport these days is ''shank's pony'' lugging any form of tripod around on foot is a real bind.

Not actually planning on any big purchases in the near future but wondering if other members have found the optimum small scope combination when

I guess when choosing an eyepiece it really depends on how steady you can hold the scope without the full support of a tripod.

Matt

nikon ed50.................

pduxon said:

Yeah,i've heard good things about this one.

That eyepiece looks a bit awkward pretruding out of the body like that though,bit of a vulnerable spot when on the move?

Matt

pduxon said:

ED50 - I'd agree and add the following notes;

I first used one c/o Andrew Whitehouse with a shoulder pod. Excellent!

His was a straight one. - doesnt matter if used with a pod

I purchased one, mine is angled. I don't own a pod (have hide clamps)

Never tried it, but I reckon the straight one may even be used hand-held!!

Possibly the only SERIOUS small/light scope?

Hi Matt,
I have an Optolyth 25 x 70 XS. It focuses by use of a drawtube. It is less than 8 inches long when retracted and about 15 inches long when extended. It weighs 1150 grams and has a 150' FOV at 1000 feet. It can only be used in a "straight through" mode. No diagonal will attach. Eye piece can't be changed either. Not waterproof. It has a built in tripod mount drilled for both 1/4" and 3/8." It works great on a monopod. It's actually more versatile on a monopod than on a tripod, especially when you need to change the height of the pod. Unfortunately I think it has been discontinued but you might run across a used one on e-Bay. It cost about $1000.00 US funds when new.

Cordially,
Ceasar

"I came,
I saw,
Then I looked it up in my Field Guide!"

Last edited:
annoyingly my ed50 has just gone back for repair (it broke where the pod attaches to the scope).

Surprising really since 99% of the time its been attached to a shoulder pod not tripod - mine is angled and its used mainly at my patch in hides. you can use the shoulder pod with an angled scope but the shoulder pod works as a chest pod.

optically excellent.

other suggestions. Opticron MM2 with HDF lens. not as good but a lot cheaper. Kowa 603??

ceasar said:
I have an Optolyth 25 x 70 XS. It focuses by use of a drawtube. Unfortunately I think it has been discontinued but you might run across a used one on e-Bay.

The Optolyth 25x70 is still being made and is available in two versions:-
http://www.optolyth.de/produkte/spektive/mini/index.html
I have not seen one myself but they are apparently popular with hunters.
A monopod is not really necessary. A long hiking stick can be used for support.

John

matt green said:
Hi all

Matt
nikon ed50 with 20x wide or 27x wide.

Last edited:
pduxon said:
annoyingly my ed50 has just gone back for repair (it broke where the pod attaches to the scope).

Surprising really since 99% of the time its been attached to a shoulder pod not tripod - mine is angled and its used mainly at my patch in hides. you can use the shoulder pod with an angled scope but the shoulder pod works as a chest pod.

optically excellent.

other suggestions. Opticron MM2 with HDF lens. not as good but a lot cheaper. Kowa 603??
how did it break ? was it dropped or is there a weakness at that point. regards stuart

stuart C smith said:
how did it break ? was it dropped or is there a weakness at that point. regards stuart

there seems to be a spring type mechanism where the QR plate connects and this got pulled out.

Given that it normally sits on a shoulder pod its not been under much weight!!

awaiting return.

Since I got an MM2 (I've got the ED version) plus Cullman shoulder pod, I've barely taken my Zeiss 65 and tripod out at all - it's been a fantastic combination.

Last weekend though I was out in wide open spaces on the Essex coast (what a fantastic area by the way) so I thought I'd take the larger kit. It was the right decision for the optics (still can't beat that wide bright Zeiss zoom ;) but my shoulders didn't half know about it after a full day.

So now, the MM2 is in a shoulder bag or the car whenever I go out, and the Zeiss is reserved for estuaries or special occasions (like when my partner comes out with me and nicks the MM2!)

I think there are two sensible choices - the Nikon plus shoulder pod (waterproof, great optics and very expensive unless you already have a Nikon eyepiece) or the MM2 plus HDF lens, either 18x or zoom (good optics, half the price, but not waterproof - but then nor was my old Kowa TS611 and that never caused me a single problem either).

pduxon said:
there seems to be a spring type mechanism where the QR plate connects and this got pulled out.

Given that it normally sits on a shoulder pod its not been under much weight!!

awaiting return.
thank you it sounds like a helicoil [thread insert] hmm , ill keep an eye on mine. regards stuart.

If you like the idea of the “pull-out” Optolyth, you could try the extendable Swarovski CTC 30 x75, I have one and find it’s very good easy to use with superb optics, and can be quite easy to use with a bit of help resting on a mono-pod or similar, even just hand held at a push, that’s why I bought this model, (I have the Swarovski No 1 tripod but while a super study tripod it’s a bit too heavy to carry around sometimes). Anyone else use one of these?

Opticron MM2 and monopod

For a cheap and easy to carry combination I find the Opticron MM2 with 15-40 zoom eyepiece and a Manfronto monopole to be an almost ideal combination. OK the MM2 has optical quality limits but it is so easy to sling over your shoulder!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back