• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Epsom Common (1 Viewer)

TheThing

Birder
I'm always surprised that Epsom Common (and adjoining Ashtead Common) are overlooked birding wise.

A mixture of Surrey heartland, deciduous woodland, scrub and a couple of interesting ponds, make this a great place to bird. A jewel within the M25.

I'm not a great numbers person, for me it's all about the birds. It's lovely to see something new, but equally I'm just happy watching long tailed tits for half an hour or so.

There is unlikely to be many great discoveries on the Common (especially with so few regular birders) but it does turn up the occasional surprise (a male eider flew not more than 10ft straight over my head about 2 years ago when I walking the dog).

So time to share my findings in the hope others will be tempted stroll the Commons. My favourite spots are High and Long Meadows which lead down to the Stew Ponds. About an hour and three quarters early this morning netted the following: -

9 magpie
3 goldfinch
4 starling
7 jay
17 wood pigeon
16 blackbird
5 Carrion Crow
6 mallard
3 grey heron
3 chiffchaff
2 bullfinch
3 ring necked parakeet
8 blue tit
18 Canada goose
3 greylag
1 sparrowhawk
3 whitethroat
6 long tailed tit
3 robin
5 mandarin
2 cormorant (1st for the Common)
1moorhen
2 lesser whitethroat
2 great spotted woodpecker
1 linnet
4 willow warbler
1 yellowhammer
1 jackdaw
1 garden warbler
4 chaffinch
1 collared dove
2 house sparrow
1 buzzard

1st for the Common means first time I've recorded that species; not 1st ever. I only record birds that I see as I'm still learning calls.

First real birding experience with my new wise(to me) Hawke Prostalkes and I'm very pleased. A lot of looking into dark, shady bushes from bright sunlit areas and vice versa, but they performed brilliantly.

More updates as I bird the Common again, if you're interested?

Hugh

Not been able to get out as much as I would like - sadly work keeps getting in the way.

Did hear a cuckoo this morning whilst I was stuck at my desk in my garden office though. Also, some nice birds at the feeders and the starlings in the loft have fledged. Mr and Mrs starling were at it again on the TV aerial yesterday, so hopefully another brood is on the may!

I try and get to Epsom / Ashtead Common once a fortnight if I can, though I am actually walking my dog... two birds and all that ;)
Its a nice relaxing spot and does have varied habitats.....

I like Horton park a smidgen better though for dog walks..
Good to see others enjoying local spots.

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back