• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Far North West Scotland (1 Viewer)

hampers

Hampers
I'm planning a trip up to the far north of Scotland in June, haven't been for >20 years. Does anyone have any recommendations for good sites to visit. I'd like to hear corncrake and understand there are some around up there from various reports. Haven't heard one since leaving Islay in 1998.

Any information gratefully received. Please pm me if preferred.B :clap:

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

I was hoping someone else would respond to your plea as my info is a bit dated now.

Scourie, and Durness are both well worth visiting, as is Cape Wrath and Faraid Head. Stop at every Loch and scan for Divers.

There is a nice walk from Keodale Ferry, past the loch and through the golf course to Balnakeil, varied habitat here.

And don't forget Handa - a must.

I can't help with Corncrake as never heard any there.

D

see you there

we are going up on the 17th. oldshoremore for a week. when are you going up?we will be going to the cape+ a trip to thurso i would not mind seeing a corncrake thanks i will be keeping an eye on this thread

Going up on Friday 1 June for a week. I've read reports of corncrake around Durness. Otherwise I think Skye may be an option.

Delia, thanks for the info. Is Handa a steep walk when you land, I've a very dodgy knee, but would love to see the skuas near to.

Hi Hampers

Handa: Not a very steep walk, I managed with sciatica. It is rough going in places though. If you get the first boat over you'll get all day, so arrive in plenty of time. The boat trip is worth it anyway!

I'm sure he won't mind me saying this,;) but try a PM to Colin, I know he was up there last year and knows the area well, he may be away at the moment as he's not logged on here since Friday.

The Tourist Centre at Durness may have more up-to-date info on Corncrake.

This site Durness Bird Life is interesting, but there's no mention of Corncrake on it, that I can see anyway.

D

Delia
Thanks. Sorry but Colin ?
I'm sure corncrake locations will be, understandably be kept quiet. Will do Handa then, had a knee op which has made it worse! But can take my time I guess.

Cheers

Phil

Going up on Friday 1 June for a week. I've read reports of corncrake around Durness. Otherwise I think Skye may be an option.

Delia, thanks for the info. Is Handa a steep walk when you land, I've a very dodgy knee, but would love to see the skuas near to.

Hi Phil,

I'd agree with Delia as Handa isn't too steep to make that much difference and if you want to see the Skuas close then Handa's your place for certain! I've got an arthritic knee, but if you do as we do and go at your own speed (and there are walk ways round a lot of the way) then you'll be ok I'm quite sure of that.

Whilst walking along the walkways keep a look out for the Newts which dash off from all over the place. Keep a look out for nesting Snipe too! It is a magical place and has great views as well as amazing Wildlife. We saw a couple of Oak Eggar Moths when we were there a couple of years ago. Keep a watch out for Divers on the short boat trip over and back, we got SO close to them. Jelly Fish and all sorts are below you, as well as on the water's edge while you're waiting for the trip.

Don't miss out Scourie though as you can see so much there, keep a watch out on the Marshland area on your right and with luck you'll see Reed Buntings, Sedge Warblers, Water Rail etc etc. It is fantastic. All being well we should be there in June some time too, couldn't get to Handa last year as it tipped it down for 2 days! If you go to Kylesku, before Scourie, look out for Red Deer as well as Seal, Razorbill, Guillemots etc down at the boat landing area. Enjoy yourself and good luck with it all! How about a support bandage to help with the knee!

Best wishes,

Sue.

i would not mind seeing a corncrake thanks i will be keeping an eye on this thread

don't hold your breath for that. i've worked with the little feckers over here in Ireland for a year now and i've seen one once! I'd aim to hear one if i was you.

oh - and we've had a few birds arriving over the last week and a half on the Shannon and also in Donegal.

Thanks everyone.

Sue when you say Scourie is there a particular place, not familiar with it. Handa is on from what you say, weather permitting.

I spent >4 years living on Islay and on;ly saw crex crex once! But hearing them is magical.

Thanks everyone.

Sue when you say Scourie is there a particular place, not familiar with it. Handa is on from what you say, weather permitting.

I spent >4 years living on Islay and on;ly saw crex crex once! But hearing them is magical.

Hi Phil,

Scourie is a particular place (if that's what you mean), it's only a small village and is just before Tarbet, the place where you go to get the boat across to Handa.

If however, you mean is there a particular place in Scourie to go to. Just go gently down the hill to the sea front (more of a bay really) the sea is on the left with the marshland area on your right. Go quietly as there are often a pair of BT Divers in the bay, but they'll soon bolt if you get out.

Back at the top of the village is a small shop where they do beautiful rolls etc! Across the road from there (well....nearly) and on towards Durness and you'll see a small Loch on the right side of the road, another place for Divers, shrubs to hide by to watch them too.

4 years living on Islay must have been superb, though only seeing a Corncrake once!

Good luck Phil and enjoy Handa, it's great!

Sue.

Hi Phil,

Scourie is a particular place (if that's what you mean), it's only a small village and is just before Tarbet, the place where you go to get the boat across to Handa.

Sue.

The best places to go in Scourie are the bird hide (waders, red-throated divers, otter etc but beware of the dog walkers), the headland beyond the church for passing seabirds and the picnic site behind the toilets for passerines.

Full details of this plus many other sites in the far northwest (Handa, Inverpolly, NW Sutherland) in Best Birdwatching sites in the Scottish Highlands, published by Buckingham Press and written by my good self.

Please take all comments expressed in the last paragraph as being entirely biased <grin>

Gordon Hamlett

I've bought the book, its excellent.

Looked up Scourie after posting my question! Thanks Sue, Islay is worth a visit. Excellent birding.

The best places to go in Scourie are the bird hide (waders, red-throated divers, otter etc but beware of the dog walkers), the headland beyond the church for passing seabirds and the picnic site behind the toilets for passerines.

Full details of this plus many other sites in the far northwest (Handa, Inverpolly, NW Sutherland) in Best Birdwatching sites in the Scottish Highlands, published by Buckingham Press and written by my good self.

Please take all comments expressed in the last paragraph as being entirely biased <grin>

Gordon Hamlett

Thanks Phil, We'll have to get there one day soon as I hear so much about it.

Sue.

Hi Gordon,

Surely I didn't forget to put about the Bird Hide!!! |:$| Sorry Phil, but yes, there is one and if you're alone in their of an evening it's....magical! Until the dog walkers come along! Do look where you're walking!8-P :C

So, it looks as though I need to buy your book then Gordon. We've been all around Inverpolly before...a cracking Redshank there along with so much more. Still, I suppose the book might just come in handy. Thanks for the tip Gordon, it really does sound as though it would be worth having as the man on the ground always knows the best spots for certain.

Sue.

inlighting me

[
Any information gratefully received. Please pm me if preferred.B :clap:

Thanks

Phil[/QUOTE]

as you are going before me Any information gratefully received when you get back of cause cheers

Hi Liam (or your Dad),

How about PMing Gordon (Hamlett) for his book; he's sent me a taster and it certainly looks informative and we'll be having a copy. It's good to have the advice of us who have been and loved it, but I'd definately advise a good book to have help with the actual places as well as maps etc.

Whatever you do and whenever you go, if you have as good a time as we've had in the last 4 years you'll LOVE it all. Enjoy yourselves and the entire experience.

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back