• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus 2014 - news, sightings and rare bird alerts (1 Viewer)

Mick Sway

United Kingdom
Cyprus migration and bird sightings 2014
Just thought I'd start this thread off to encourage birders to put their Cyprus news in one place.
Hope it's not too much of an imposition.
Would have thought that it might be good to try to keep up to date news in one place.
I'm sure that many of us are interested in Cyprus birding news.
Best
Mick
:t:

Last edited:
I am going out there for 12 days on Saturday, near Paphos, though itis family holiday.

Problem is there is a regular update at www.birdlifecyprus.org

But I will try to update here when I am there.

Hi Nick

Would be interested to hear what you see and where? Was planning to visit Paphos myself at the end of this month but have had to postpone until later in the year because of pending hip operation.

I agree with your comment on getting information from the almost daily sighting updates from Cyprus Birdlife. In addition, I am a member of WorldBirds.org which also provides sightings by Country, amongst other things.

Shane

I have just returned from 10 days in Cyprus. We birded every day and saw some brilliant birds, many of them migrants. Is it worth reporting them somewhere and if so where? Some of the places we went to are little birded and unreported.

I have just returned from 10 days in Cyprus. We birded every day and saw some brilliant birds, many of them migrants. Is it worth reporting them somewhere and if so where? Some of the places we went to are little birded and unreported.

Hi Joannec

Yes it is worth reporting your sightings as these can then be added to a global database for research, etc. One of the best websites for this is the Worldbirds site. To access this go to http://www.birdlifecyprus.org/ and click on the Cypriaca link on the left hand side which takes you to the Cyprus chapter of the Worldbirds database. Click on "Cypriaca" to access the link which takes you to the system login. Click on "Are you a new user" if you are not already registered, it doesn't cost anything, and follow the instructions. Once in you can submit your visit reports to add to the database, and access a wealth of information and reports on Cyprus Birding.

You can also access the Worldbirds site directly by going to http://worldbirds.org/ which lets you view/add information to most other Countries by selecting the Region then Country from the World Map.

Good luck!

Shane

Fairly quiet around Paphos as there is no water at normal spots such as Aspro Dam pool, Acheleia overflow or Lower XP pools - very disappointing!

Best birding currently is around Anarita Park where had a pair of Montagu's Harriers and a pair of Marsh Harriers, Osprey, 10 Lesser Kestrels and loads of Common Kestrels, RF Falcon, 2 Rollers, Cyprus Warblers, 3 Great Spotted Cuckoos. 8 Turtle Doves at Acheleia Pools today was an unusual sight. Hope it livens up!

Fairly quiet around Paphos as there is no water at normal spots such as Aspro Dam pool, Acheleia overflow or Lower XP pools - very disappointing!

Best birding currently is around Anarita Park where had a pair of Montagu's Harriers and a pair of Marsh Harriers, Osprey, 10 Lesser Kestrels and loads of Common Kestrels, RF Falcon, 2 Rollers, Cyprus Warblers, 3 Great Spotted Cuckoos. 8 Turtle Doves at Acheleia Pools today was an unusual sight. Hope it livens up!

Thanks Nick, rainfall in Cyprus over Winter has been very poor and they say the country may be looking at emergency measures in Summer!

Shane

Just returned from 12 days there, based at Paphos. Was very quiet really, mainly because as you say winter has been very dry. Aspro pools, Lower XP pools and Acheleia outflow pools all dry with no water. So no crakes or wildfowl and very few waders around. And with little water, few flies and insects for passerines present. Worked hard to reach 100 species, best being 5 Black Francolin, 5 SW Plovers, 6 Montagu's Harriers, dozen marsh Harriers, 1 Pallid Harrier, 1 Osprey, 5 Eleonora's Falcons, 2 RF Falcons, 10 Lesser kestrels, 10 Great Spotted Cuckoos, 20 Woodchat Shrike, 1 Masked Shrike, 3 Collared Flycatchers, dozen plus Rollers, 30 Bee-eaters, 1 Moustached Warbler, 3 Cyprus Warblers, 6 Cyprus Pied Wheaters, 15 Red-throated Pipits, around 300 Yellow Wags including all races, many Chukars, 2 Icterine Warblers, 6 Spot Flys, 2 Eastern Olivaceous Warblers, Great Reed Warbler, dozen Cretzschmar's and Ortolan Buntings, Little Owl, 15 Alpine Swift, Cuckoo, 15 Squacco Heron, 11 night heron, 2 purple heron, 25 Turtle dove, 20 ST lark, Spectacled Warbler, FT Warbler, Tawny pipit, RR Swallow, Hoopoe, Audouin Gull, a few common waders- usual spring stuff.

Concentrated on Anarita Park, Agia Varvara, Asprokremnos Dam, Mandria, Lower XP pools, Acheleia outflow pools, and one trip to Tomb of the Kings and headland. Also twice to Cape Aspro where i dipped Hooded Wheatear. Best moments were great views of Black Francolin calling, Rollers and Bee-eaters, Lesser Kestrels & espcialy one male Monty that showed down to five metres!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back