• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Size of "Sweet spot" in 10x42's (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

I don't want to start a debate about the size of the "sweet spot" in premium binoculars, but i would like to hear your opinions.
I can't find the 10x42 Zeiss FL, the Leica Ultravid, and the Swaro EL to try.
So, in your opinion, which of these would have the largest area of flat-clean-distortion-free view across the field of view?
Thank you.

Andy Bright said:
I thought you had already tried these :h?: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=28453

"I just came back from a store where i tried the 10x42 models of Zeiss FL, Leica Ultravid, and Swaro EL. They let me take the binoculars outside the store, and i compared them for 1/2 hour"

regards,
Andy

Yes, sorry about the mess, i did try them on street signs. The Zeiss seemed to give the brightest and clearest image. Also, i did not notice any serious effects like pincushion and such, but i did not pay attention. What i meant to say was "try in the park birding", like i did with the Trinovid vs Steiner, and the Leupold Gold Rings. None of my friends has these recent models, and the store won't let me borrow, even though i offered to leave my credit card there.
When trying, i did not pay attention to "sweet spot". When i think of it, it may be important when looking at moving birds, or when i shake due to wind of fatigue, and i read conflicting reports on this forum. And, really, i don't want people debating, just their estimate of %%%% size of flat image.
Thanks for pointing that to me.

Well, i went back at the store during lunch break, and i had a second look.
The Ultravid was sold, but i looked at the EL and the FL. I tried to move my eyes and look off center (not what i usually do when looking at birds). I still liked the center view of the FL better than that of the EL, but i think that EL had a larger "sweet spot".
The difference was not large. What do you think? Is this likely to vary from sample to sample?

In my opinion, no two pieces of glass are the same, when you have found the brand you prefer, ask to examine several pairs of the same model, then choose, Michael Woertman, Rocky Mountain Eagle Research Foundation.

Otto,

I suggest there is more to selecting a pair of bins than the 'sweet spot'. In the case of roof prism types you may find that if you look to the edge of the field of view the image blacks out, so you have to get into the habit of moving the bins too. In this regard porro type are often superior.

I spent hours at a binocular shop, which over-looked open countryside and a lake, providing perfect conditions to select binoculars, when buying my first quality bins. What I found from amongst 3 premium brands was that one pair gave a green hue to the image. This gave the impression, in a generally green view, that they provided a better image, especially when looking into a distant haze. Another pair made the haze look hazier, but only they enabled me to see some birds feeding on the ground. They were simply not visible in either of the other pairs.

So forget sweet spots! If you are concerned about quality find a seller who can provide typical views instead of a town scene. Also wait until late in the year, so you can try them as the light begins to fail. Bright sunshine will flatter to deceive, but it is in poor light when optical quality really shines through.

I currently own latest Leica 12x50 Trinovids. The best of the 3 on the occasion mentioned above were Zeiss 10x40 Dialyt (quite some years ago now), which I have recently replaced.

Graham. :eek!:

Biggest Seet spot.

Otto McDiesel said:
I don't want to start a debate about the size of the "sweet spot" in premium binoculars, but i would like to hear your opinions.
I can't find the 10x42 Zeiss FL, the Leica Ultravid, and the Swaro EL to try.
So, in your opinion, which of these would have the largest area of flat-clean-distortion-free view across the field of view?
Thank you.

I have looked through all three of these binoculars and in my opinion the Swarovski 10x42 EL has the biggest sweet spot of the three,as well as,the best depth of field. The Zeiss FL is a little brighter and sharper in it's sweet spot. In high end binoculars it all depends on what you like to see. Sometimes it is hard to figure out exactly what you like about a binoculars view but you just know you like it. Often times people will prefer a binocular with a bigger sweet spot and better depth of field but they don't know why. Conversely many people like a bright binocular like the Zeiss FL.

Dennis

Last edited:
Otto,

I cannot hold a ten power glass, so I have no particular experience to share.

It is your choice but when selecting from three similar, high qulaity optics, you have to go with your inclinations as you will have to live with the purchase. If sweet spot is more important than brightness, you may choose one over the other. Center resolution, edge resolution, contrast, colour, and ergonomics all contribute. If you cannot quantify these qualities, then try to determine which one would work in your situation for hours of viewing.
When I purchase a sport jacket, the garment has to "sing" to me. It must fit across my shoulders well; have the right colour; and juist seem right. Does not one of these glasses fit your hand and eyes and shout, "I am right for you"?
At your price point, each manufacturer has made a design compromise. Which compromise matches your needs and desires?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back