• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 vs. 10x42 Binoculars (4 Viewers)

ArchStanton

United States
I'm in the process of buying a new pair of binoculars. I own three pairs of autofocus Steiner binoculars and pair of Opticron Savanna porro prism binoculars. I recently purchased a pair of 8x32 Zeiss Conquest HD binoculars that aren't what I expected but am waiting on the extended eyecups before I pass judgment on them. I'm debating on whether to purchase a pair of 8x42 or 10x42 binoculars for birdwatching and general wildlife viewing. I live in a spot in AZ where birders come from all over the world and would like to start enjoying what they are seeing with a pair of quality binoculars. I am wondering if the extra power of a 10x42 will be negated by movement as these will be handheld when viewing birds in trees and wildlife at much further distances. As I'm getting older, I'm wondering if an 8x42 would be the better choice. Any experience that can be shared would be much appreciated.

A 10x42 offers a better experience in this situation. Except if the birds are in quick movement. If so, you need a 10x with a very large FOV. I use Steiner Predator AF in this situations.

The movement is not at all a problem when using an internal stabilized (aka IS) binocular.
An optical excellent one is Canon 10x42 IS.
A very good one is Canon 12x36 IS (from my experience). Very good when birds are at 200m or more.
Other brands of IS binculars exist. I have no experience with this other brands.

Last edited:
The difference between 10x and 8 is not enormous but does help over longer distances, while increasing the challenge of following movement closer in, which is why birders often prefer 8x although 10x is more popular generally.
All binoculars shake, and individual experience varies so you'll just have to find out for yourself. Do you have both 8 and 10x already?
You're unlikely to find 32mm inadequate unless you do a lot of low-light viewing.
Conquest should be enough of a step up in quality if you can get the eye comfort to work.

I'm in the process of buying a new pair of binoculars. I own three pairs of autofocus Steiner binoculars and pair of Opticron Savanna porro prism binoculars. I recently purchased a pair of 8x32 Zeiss Conquest HD binoculars that aren't what I expected but am waiting on the extended eyecups before I pass judgment on them. I'm debating on whether to purchase a pair of 8x42 or 10x42 binoculars for birdwatching and general wildlife viewing. I live in a spot in AZ where birders come from all over the world and would like to start enjoying what they are seeing with a pair of quality binoculars. I am wondering if the extra power of a 10x42 will be negated by movement as these will be handheld when viewing birds in trees and wildlife at much further distances. As I'm getting older, I'm wondering if an 8x42 would be the better choice. Any experience that can be shared would be much appreciated.

My wife only likes 8x binoculars but I prefer 10x and 12x ones. If I can brace the binos against my eye sockets a little bit it helps a good deal. I do this even with 7x and 8x ones. For me 10x is the minimum magnification as they provide better visibility for details, especially on small songbirds. There is more light transmission with a 10x40 as compared to a 8x40 binocular (according to Nikon).

B&H has great prices and makes it super easy to return items if you decide they are not what you want. Periodically they will discount Vortex binoculars by 20% by requesting a better price by email.

Recommend joining people on local birding excursions to try out different binoculars in advance.

The difference between 10x and 8 is not enormous but does help over longer distances, while increasing the challenge of following movement closer in, which is why birders often prefer 8x although 10x is more popular generally.
All binoculars shake, and individual experience varies so you'll just have to find out for yourself. Do you have both 8 and 10x already?
You're unlikely to find 32mm inadequate unless you do a lot of low-light viewing.
Conquest should be enough of a step up in quality if you can get the eye comfort to work.
Birders prefer 10x? Really?

A 10x42 offers a better experience in this situation. Except if the birds are in quick movement. If so, you need a 10x with a very large FOV. I use Steiner Predator AF in this situations.

The movement is not at all a problem when using an internal stabilized (aka IS) binocular.
An optical excellent one is Canon 10x42 IS.
A very good one is Canon 12x36 IS (from my experience). Very good when birds are at 200m or more.
Other brands of IS binculars exist. I have no experience with this other brands.
I have a pair of AF 12x40 Steiner Predator Pro binoculars, but these have been a big disappointment. Maybe the the 10x would have been a better choice. I've looked at the IS binoculars, but they've received mixed reviews and the warranties aren't very long. Sig Sauer recently came out with an updated line of IS Zulu binoculars that may be worth taking a closer look. Thank you for the reply and have a good one!

I do see my a little bit of movement when using binoculars, but it seems more so with heavier binoculars. My AF 8x30 Steiners are pretty light and move less when using as opposed to the new Zeiss Conquest 8x32's I just bought. The Conquests are significantly heavier than the Steiner's. I don't own a 10x but an AF 12x. I do often view wildlife in the early morning or late afternoon because it's the time they're still moving around, so binoculars that gather more light are a plus. I appreciate the reply. Have a good afternoon!

My wife only likes 8x binoculars but I prefer 10x and 12x ones. If I can brace the binos against my eye sockets a little bit it helps a good deal. I do this even with 7x and 8x ones. For me 10x is the minimum magnification as they provide better visibility for details, especially on small songbirds. There is more light transmission with a 10x40 as compared to a 8x40 binocular (according to Nikon).

B&H has great prices and makes it super easy to return items if you decide they are not what you want. Periodically they will discount Vortex binoculars by 20% by requesting a better price by email.

Recommend joining people on local birding excursions to try out different binoculars in advance.
I tend to cram the Steiner binoculars in my eye sockets because the eye cups are soft rubber, but I can't do this with the new Conquests I just bought. I tried them today and was getting blackouts, but tomorrow the new extended eye cups are supposed to arrive and will try them out. I'll check out B&H's website for discounts. I have a Vortex rangefinder but have never owned a pair of their binoculars. I did attend a local Audubon hawk watch and was able to try out a varieties of binoculars from different manufacturers. I liked the Conquests in 8x42 the best but was mostly looking a birds in trees and not at anything at great distances. If the 8x42 had been heavily discounted like the 8x32, I would have bought it instead. I might join the Audubon in the next city if they are going to offer outings close to where I live. Thank you for sharing your experience and the recommendations. Have a good afternoon!

I've looked at the IS binoculars, but they've received mixed reviews and the warranties aren't very long. Sig Sauer recently came out with an updated line of IS Zulu binoculars that may be worth taking a closer look.
Yep, only 3 years of warranty for the electronic part. But again, a such "short" warranty seems the standard in this domain, disregarding the brand. :(
I was skeptical until I used an IS binocular. It was a game changer for me. :)

B&H allows you to return the merchandise, just check the return policy. Also, you can text chat or do video chat with a adviser if you have technical questions.
Maybe you can look at Maven binoculars : Maven
I have no experince with this binoculars.

Also, this web site can offer trusted evaluations:

Yep, only 3 years of warranty for the electronic part. But again, a such "short" warranty seems the standard in this domain, disregarding the brand. :(
I was skeptical until I used an IS binocular. It was a game changer for me. :)

B&H allows you to return the merchandise, just check the return policy. Also, you can text chat or do video chat with a adviser if you have technical questions.
Maybe you can look at Maven binoculars : Maven
I have no experince with this binoculars.

Also, this web site can offer trusted evaluations:
I think Sig's is a 5-year warranty from the manufacture date. I've read that IS binoculars are a game changer for people who have purchased them. B&H seems like a good company to buy from. I've never looked through a Mavenbuilt binocular, but they seem similar to the Sig Zulu 9's and Vortex Razor UHD's. There's a lot of binoculars to choose from these days making it very difficult to decide. Cheers!

Last edited:
and

meaning for me: 10x is more popular for a diversity of users, some birders included

No one said yet birders prefer 10x.
Ted, you are correct: I misread your comment. I can't remember the 'data' but my experience is most people recommend 8x for birding, based on generally wider FOV, hand-holdability, DOF, etc. I also think that folks who have experienced 7x, will lament the fact that the market has gone the way of 8 and 10x.

That said, my advice to the OP is that you try both and then decide. My recommendation would be a good pair of 8x32's as a general purpose birding bino, unless the birding is mostly big-sky, wetland, distant etc. And even then, I'd go with 8x and a scope :p I think bigger glass (42's etc) and 10x, are derived from hunter's needs, where glassing out west (distant) and the magic hour (dawn and dusk) require big, bright glass.

Ted, you are correct: I misread your comment. I can't remember the 'data' but my experience is most people recommend 8x for birding, based on generally wider FOV, hand-holdability, DOF, etc. I also think that folks who have experienced 7x, will lament the fact that the market has gone the way of 8 and 10x.

That said, my advice to the OP is that you try both and then decide. My recommendation would be a good pair of 8x32's as a general purpose birding bino, unless the birding is mostly big-sky, wetland, distant etc. And even then, I'd go with 8x and a scope :p I think bigger glass (42's etc) and 10x, are derived from hunter's needs, where glassing out west (distant) and the magic hour (dawn and dusk) require big, bright glass.
I have to agree because I've seen most birders out here with mostly 8x binoculars and hunters with 10x. I have extended eye cups arriving tomorrow, so if they improve the view of the Conquest 8x32's, I'll probably keep them. Thank you for the reply and have a good evening!

I installed the extended eye cups, which is a definite improvement with no more blackouts. I was in backyard late this partly overcast afternoon looking at a small hawk on top of a tree about 25 yards away and the binoculars are pretty clear. I scanned the distant hills over 500 yards looking for deer but only found a black cow on the horizon. I'm wondering if an 8x42 or 10x42 would gather significantly more light and if it would be worth spending a couple hundred more over these 8x32's. Thanks to all who chimed in!

ArchStanton,

I was a bit confused because you post under astronomy section, but want advice for a suiting binocular for birds and wildlife.
Anyway: nr1 important in my opinion is that you can get enough steady view.
8x42 is 72% brighter than 8x32 in dim condition, which is clearly noticeable but not a huge difference.
10x42 is only 10% brighter than 8x32 so this is very subtle, you will mostly not notice it.
For astronomy a 10x42 goes usually deeper than 8x42 because of darker sky background. This results in higher contrast between sky and the objects. Low intense objects like nebulas and galaxies may be seen better with larger exit pupil of 8x42, but that requires a really dark sky and good seeing. And of course requiring you can make use of the full exit pupil.

ArchStanton,

I was a bit confused because you post under astronomy section, but want advice for a suiting binocular for birds and wildlife.
Anyway: nr1 important in my opinion is that you can get enough steady view.
8x42 is 72% brighter than 8x32 in dim condition, which is clearly noticeable but not a huge difference.
10x42 is only 10% brighter than 8x32 so this is very subtle, you will mostly not notice it.
For astronomy a 10x42 goes usually deeper than 8x42 because of darker sky background. This results in higher contrast between sky and the objects. Low intense objects like nebulas and galaxies may be seen better with larger exit pupil of 8x42, but that requires a really dark sky and good seeing. And of course requiring you can make use of the full exit pupil.
That was my mistake. Maybe the thread can relocated to the correct location. I appreciate the information and might just purchase a pair 8x42’s for the extra brightness and return the Conquest 8x32’s.. A 72% increase is a significant increase. I have a pair of 20x80 binoculars that I plan on using for viewing the night sky but will have to purchase a heavy duty tripod. Thank you for explaining the differences. Have a great day!

That was my mistake. Maybe the thread can relocated to the correct location. I appreciate the information and might just purchase a pair 8x42’s for the extra brightness and return the Conquest 8x32’s.. A 72% increase is a significant increase. I have a pair of 20x80 binoculars that I plan on using for viewing the night sky but will have to purchase a heavy duty tripod. Thank you for explaining the differences. Have a great day!

I have had Conquest HD 8x42. And I carefully tested the 8x32, considered to get it. Unfortunately the eye relief did not provide that clear open view with eyeglasses as the 8x42.
8x42 is a great binocular, but the 8x32 has wider FOV, though more distorsion at the edges. And the 8x32 I tried was extremely sharp on axis, sharper than Conquest HD 8x42.
This is also according to a review I read.
Actually I could not detect any difference to Swarovski NL Pure 8x42.

So for birdwatching and nature studies at daytime the Conquest HD 8x32 is an excellent binocular. I was very sorry that the eye relief was not sufficient for me.
Maybe your perception of the difference between Conquest 8x32 and 8x42 is not the same as mine. But try them carefully side by side before you make the decision.

I have had Conquest HD 8x42. And I carefully tested the 8x32, considered to get it. Unfortunately the eye relief did not provide that clear open view with eyeglasses as the 8x42.
8x42 is a great binocular, but the 8x32 has wider FOV, though more distorsion at the edges. And the 8x32 I tried was extremely sharp on axis, sharper than Conquest HD 8x42.

So for birdwatching and nature studies at daytime the Conquest HD 8x32 is an excellent binocular. I was very sorry that the eye relief was not sufficient for me.
Maybe your perception of the difference between Conquest 8x32 and 8x42 is not the same as mine. But try them carefully side by side before you make the decision.
It would be nice to be able to compare a Conquest 8x32 to a 8x42 but that might not be possible because the return window is closing. I installed the extended eye cups and that made a big difference using the 8x32's and no longer seeing blackouts. Thank you for the additional information. Cheers!

I compared the 8 x 42 and 8 x 32 conquests as well as the 10’s side by side, for two days that I had access to all four of them. Weather conditions was sunny and clear, so I won’t make any comments about how they performed in the lower light. Specifically speaking about the 8’s, I could barely see any difference in brightness. Eye box was very comfortable in both , and I was able to see the full FOV wearing sunglasses in both. There is only a 2mm difference (18 to 16) in eye relief between the two. I guess in you experience it could have something to do with the thickness or shape of your eyeglasses that hindered the ability to see the full FOV. I found all of these binoculars to be outrageously good, not on the level of EL’s or NL’s , at least to my eyes, but still phenomenal glass at that price point.

Paul

I compared the 8 x 42 and 8 x 32 conquests as well as the 10’s side by side, for two days that I had access to all four of them. Weather conditions was sunny and clear, so I won’t make any comments about how they performed in the lower light. Specifically speaking about the 8’s, I could barely see any difference in brightness. Eye box was very comfortable in both , and I was able to see the full FOV wearing sunglasses in both. There is only a 2mm difference (18 to 16) in eye relief between the two. I guess in you experience it could have something to do with the thickness or shape of your eyeglasses that hindered the ability to see the full FOV. I found all of these binoculars to be outrageously good, not on the level of EL’s or NL’s , at least to my eyes, but still phenomenal glass at that price point.

Paul

Regarding brightness it's what expected. They should not differ at daytime.
I could see the edges of the field even with 8x32, but the field was not evenly "illuminated". I needed to come 1-2mm closer for the perfect open view. I use to describe it like "climbing into the image".
2mm difference of eye relief seems correct. And for me these extra mm was probably what had been needed to get that perfect open view even with the 8x32.
As you say NL Pure is definitely on a higher level than Conquest.
I compared Conquest HD 8x42 and NL Pure 8x42 at night and NL Pure actually looked brighter. It should hardly be a detecteable difference with only 2% light transmission difference, but it still was. I think the reason can be the cooler image which for the eye can be perceived as brighter. Adding to that better sharpness and contrast, it resulted in more details could be seen in the darkness.
It was just on axis sharpness of the 8x32 which highly impressed me, rivalling the sharpness of NL Pure in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back