• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruby crowned kinglet? Margam, South Wales (1 Viewer)

neeny83

Apologies if this is in the wrong place / format but it is my first proper post. I was walking in Margam Country park this afternoon and in a hedge in the walled garden behind the orangery, saw a flash of bright red and some rustling so went for a closer look. The tiny bird I spotted was one I have never seen in Wales and wasn't in any of my Birds of the British Isles books. It was very small, around the size and shape of a wren but had lots of yellow on its wings and a bright red plume on the top of it's head. The feathers were sticking right up which is what caught my eye. It stayed in the hedge as I got closer and didn't seem bothered by my presence but it flew away before I could get a picture. I looked up online as soon as I got home and found a picture of a ruby crowned kinglet and that is what I believe I saw today. Does anyone have any idea if there is a possibility of this bird visiting the UK? I couldn't find out a lot from a general Google search.
Thank you in advance for any feedback :)

Thank you Nutcracker, it is likely to have been a male gold crest that I saw in that case. I did think of that initially when looking through my books but all of the pictures I found showed more of a yellow/orange crest and this looked so red which made me think it was possibly something else. It is the first time I've seen one this close though so maybe it was just more vivid in 'real life'. Thanks for your help ��

Not the best of pics, but this is a male Goldcrest displaying, with his crest fully fanned out - does this match?

Attachments

• IMG_5892o.jpg
    IMG_5892o.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 122
Very much like that but the feathers on his crest were definitely more red rather than yellow/orange. I googled male goldcrest after you messaged back though and there are lots of images where the feathers look much more red so that must be what I saw. They're so beautiful :) so glad I got to have a close look at him. It's so much fun learning all of the species. Thank you for your help Nutcracker.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back