• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (35 Viewers)

Wouldn't worry too much - some people just desperate to be REALLY ANGRY about something!! I imagine most people read your post as is was intended and, like me, had a chuckle to themselves.

True my friend. But I have been places were a twitch has come about and can well understand why some birders keep what they may be lucky to find to them selves

Titchwell January 1st

Today's highlights

Water pipit - 2 on grazing meadow
Marsh tit - 2 on feeders
Chiffchaff - 2 around visitor centre
Brambling - 5 (3 males) on feeders
Spotted redshank - 3 on tidal pool
Goosander - male west offshore
Merlin - 1 over saltmarsh
Greenshank - 1 on tidal pool
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Barn owl - 2 hunting over East Trail
Hen harrier - ringtail to roost

Paul

I don't think the Pallid Harrier was seen today, nor the Red-rumped Swallow, or the Iceland Gull, or the Cattle Egret! :eek!:

The yearlisting Gods have not been kind.

Some of these have been seen... But along with many many other people in Norfolk these bird sightings are shared round a closed group. We enjoy them and let folk who can behave well and are enjoyable company in the pub know where they have been seen so they might also see them. Put things on for the masses and you get poor behaviour from certain well known listers and many not well know record photographers and a generally poor natural history experience. Quite a lot of Listers and twitchers ruin many an experience and contribute little to the UK save upping the carbon footprint of a putatively green pastime.

The so called 'top listers' lists are laughable in many ways. As are ukip members in the main- with some exceptions. I doubt the residents of Royston would tolerate ukip for long, if you understand the place then you would realise how off- course this suggestion is.

The 1st was a great day with some great birds in Norfolk. Including a long staying ring ouzel plus bittern, water rail and jack snipe in the same binocular view and a lovely swallow. Great views of hunting rough legs and a small flock of common redpoll, plus good pipits ( 3 spp) and views of divers down to 25m-all very nice, with just three or four other people About- norfolk at its best.

Some of these have been seen... But along with many many other people in Norfolk these bird sightings are shared round a closed group. We enjoy them and let folk who can behave well and are enjoyable company in the pub know where they have been seen so they might also see them. Put things on for the masses and you get poor behaviour from certain well known listers and many not well know record photographers and a generally poor natural history experience. Quite a lot of Listers and twitchers ruin many an experience and contribute little to the UK save upping the carbon footprint of a putatively green pastime.

The so called 'top listers' lists are laughable in many ways. As are ukip members in the main- with some exceptions. I doubt the residents of Royston would tolerate ukip for long, if you understand the place then you would realise how off- course this suggestion is.

The 1st was a great day with some great birds in Norfolk. Including a long staying ring ouzel plus bittern, water rail and jack snipe in the same binocular view and a lovely swallow. Great views of hunting rough legs and a small flock of common redpoll, plus good pipits ( 3 spp) and views of divers down to 25m-all very nice, with just three or four other people About- norfolk at its best.

UKIP birding Norfolk: Local birds for local birders https://twitter.com/ukiproystnvasey/status/569871086558576642 fortunately most birders put news out.

Last edited:
Titchwell January 2nd

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - ringtail over saltmarsh this morning
Pintail - 18 on fresh marsh
Teal - 578 on fresh marsh + 110 on tidal pool
Shoveler - 170 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 45+ offshore during the day
Barn owl - 2 hunting over grazing meadow
Marsh tit - 1 on feeders
Water pipit - 5 on grazing meadow with 20+ rock pipits
Goosander - redhead on fresh marsh this morning
Avocet - 35 on fresh marsh
Long tailed duck - 3 offshore
Great skua - 4 offshore
Common scoter - female on fresh marsh this afternoon

Paul

UKIP birding Norfolk: Local birds for local birders https://twitter.com/ukiproystnvasey/status/569871086558576642 fortunately most birders put news out.

Quite a few people in the groups I communicate with are not from Norfolk, nor am I. So not sure about the local references- seems a bit odd to me. Just you misunderstanding the Royston program quite well- have you seen the show, r read the link that you are so proud of? and also the idea that putting it out is a good thing. Why is is useful for the bird? For the world?

It is just a bit sad that we cannot share with everyone as the behaviour of the few is poor. The swallow is an ideal case- a great bird enjoyed by many but also ruined by quite a few- and you find that people that are 45th odd in the country list and trying to catch up with a total tw@@ of a man at the top of this list of a select few tools, have trespassed and caused near- accidents( and one accident) due to dangerous behaviour.... Then people lament in not being seen on the 1st- well it was seen and seen well.

Had a great day in Norfolk. Nice egret and plenty of others. Firecrest, crossbill flock and 5 Lapland buntings next(ish) to 4 shore lark plus a coloured ringed black tailed godwit away from the normal locations. Top stuff. But not saying where of course.

GA

Graham. Alcina's orginal post was a joke. The suggestion that you join UKIP Royston Vasey is also not to be taken seriously. The points that you make about year listing and crowds are relevant, but I disagree on your stance of keeping bird news secret. At times there are probably too many birders in Norfolk, watching too few birds. Several hundred people watching a RB Shrike, a YB Warbler or a Wryneck is a bit much for some, which is fair enough. People should have a choice to go or not to go, knowing that there will be crowds. Wherever possible news should be released to RBA and/or birdguides. The statement that me and my chums (wherever they come from) do not like crowds, year listers or whatever, is not just cricket. If you and you mates do want to keep "secrets" on what they have seen, please refrain from listing a list of scarce species from public forums. Fortunately most people report good birds which leads to enjoyment for everybody. After the shambles over the ST Eagle you would hope some progress on the subject of bird news. No doubt you disagree. Cheers.

Hello all,

Graham, thanks for sharing all of your sightings. Invaluable.

Mark- one of these days, you will share a sighting on this ere forum. I wait in hope.

Paul- as always, many thanks for the Titchwell sightings. A great tool for both the visiting birder, the local and the casual observer just wishing to see what's about.

A slow but enjoyable start to the year for me, best bits were down at Church Marsh were I recorded my (the?) first ever Nuthatch for the site boundaries, Bearded Tits and 2 hunting Barn Owls.
Ludham had a few Bewick Swans on the 1st, I must have missed the Whoopers reported earlier in the day. Disappointingly no Short-eared Owls here, and none down the road on the marsh either. Are they thin on the ground this Winter?

Cheers all, and Happy New Year,
Jim.

Colour ringed Twite, Thornham Harbour

Evening all,

Since November nine colour-ringed Twite have been recorded in Thornham Harbour – four from Derbyshire, four from West Yorkshire and the one I’m about to ask about. On the 22nd November a Twite with green over yellow was recorded but unfortunately it didn’t allow views of its other leg – has anyone seen it and managed to get a full combo?

28 Twite this morning in the car park coming to drink from the puddles - red/orange x red/metal and red/black x pink/metal noted.

We saw a pretty amazing passage of Teal this morning at Holme with over 1000 noted coming in from the north east and heading down the wash between 0900- 1130. Looks to be a very good winter movement…

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back