• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Tits in Britain - inbreeding & partial albininism (1 Viewer)

If inbreeding is the cause then why don't tiny populations on isolated islands exhibit the most albinism?
Having just returned from Philippines I'm thinking of , e.g. various Scops Owl species (Mantanani, eg.) occupying tiny islands around the world, which, presumably, have been interbreeding for maybe thousands of years, which show no such signs.

If inbreeding is the cause then why don't tiny populations on isolated islands exhibit the most albinism?
Having just returned from Philippines I'm thinking of , e.g. various Scops Owl species (Mantanani, eg.) occupying tiny islands around the world, which, presumably, have been interbreeding for maybe thousands of years, which show no such signs.

Have a look at the Pacific Reed-warblers...

You've also got to think about dispersal mechanisms, eg Scops Owls (and indeed many species) are very mobile / dispersive so limited populations on "small" islands may be subject to a high degree of mixing from the whole range. In most cases the islands are actually not that small whilst on the smallest islands, the birds are very very common (eg Ryukyu = Lanyu Scops Owl is a classic) so the populations are not that small.

Edit- you've mentioned Mantanani - a classic inter-island tramp species, look at its range..

It has always been speculated that Willow Tit is very poor at dispersing - I haven't checked UK ringing recoveries but this is surely the case.

cheers, alan

Last edited:
Sorry but I doubt that, Alan.
If that would be true all not migrating birds living all islands must be white since decades, they aren´t. E.g the Golden-shouldered Parrot, an endemic of the Cape York Pen. in Australia with only 2500 birds. I assume there´s inbreeding too.

Regards,
Roman

2500?? I've only just noticed that.

That's a huge population in the context we're talking about with small isolated WT populations, perhaps just a few isolated pairs, with no in/out migration.

cheers, a

OK. To say that I am trespassing on areas that I know nothing about is this week's understatement of the week!

I think that the suggestion is not necessarily that the inbreeding causes albinism but that if there is the relevant mutation gene within the population that the inbreeding can increase the likelihood of its occurrence within both parents and that is the trigger?

Maybe the small populations to which reference is made simply do not have the gene at all in which case the increased level of inbreeding will have no effect or the incidence of the gene is more prevalent in some families than others eg the attached where the highest incidence was in American Robin in the States matching our experience with Blackbird on this side of the pond?

I suspect that my comments may simply be a load of turdus.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Albinism in the States.pdf
    346.5 KB · Views: 45
OK. To say that I am trespassing on areas that I know nothing about is this week's understatement of the week!

I think that the suggestion is not necessarily that the inbreeding causes albinism but that if there is the relevant mutation gene within the population that the inbreeding can increase the likelihood of its occurrence within both parents and that is the trigger?

I don't know the mechanisms, which themselves are likely to vary from case to case, but very small populations and the consequent breeding with relatives causes incidences of abnormality which are higher than would be expected in larger unrelated populations. This is true for humans, captive tigers and I suggest small isolated populations of Willow Tits.

cheers, alan

I don't know the mechanisms, which themselves are likely to vary from case to case, but very small populations and the consequent breeding with relatives causes incidences of abnormality which are higher than would be expected in larger unrelated populations. This is true for humans, captive tigers and I suggest small isolated populations of Willow Tits.

cheers, alan

Captive Bald Ibises in Turkey with short bills? I have some distant memory that this was suggested as due to in-breeding?

cheers, alan

Maybe the small populations to which reference is made simply do not have the gene at all in which case the increased level of inbreeding will have no effect or the incidence of the gene is more prevalent in some families than others eg the attached where the highest incidence was in American Robin in the States matching our experience with Blackbird on this side of the pond?

I suspect that my comments may simply be a load of turdus.

All the best

Paul

Reflects my suspicions too, though I might well fall in the same category as your last sentence.

In addition to the Pacific Reed Warblers, I can think of the white Ravens of the Faeroes (shot to extinction) and the white Swamphen of Lord Howe (likewise). I believe the mostly extinct Pomarea monarchs also exhibit(ed) variation that can be explained by leucism.

Melanistic populations occur in e.g. Japanese Tit (Ryukyu), Blackcap (Canaries) and Bananaquit (Caribbean).

I've finally caught up with Hampshire's first (?) Willow Tit with abnormal white bits, the same bird as linked above, see attached for my pic this morning.

cheers, alan

Only just came across this thread.

"Facing extinction" book expounds the possible causes of the gene disruption and then plumage aberrations.

The Willow tit that Alan photographed was on territory in spring of this year as well. Seemed not to have a pure song as well as the plumage issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back