• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turkey - Uzuncaburc, Demirkazik, Durnalik, Birecik & Nemrut Dagi - 02.10.06.12 (1 Viewer)

Ten years ago, my wife and I visited Turkey from 26 May until 10 June (flying out to İzmir, and back from Trabzon). I think we chose the dates to ensure easy access to the mountains at Sivrikaya, and we found all our targets without difficulty despite the quite late timing.

Thanks Richard and Paul. The reason I ask is that I made the elementary and inexcusable error as a birder of having daughters born in the last week May, meaning that I can't be away at that time ;) Given Paul's success, June seems pretty good to say the least but mid-May would probably be better temperature wise for me.

Very enjoyable read Paul and I'm glad to see that Nick and I are the birders appearing to be looking at something in your tractor shot, although maybe we were the only ones to see you had your camera out:).

I'd endorse 100% everything you say about the friendliness of the Turks. We found it a very enjoyable country to travel and bird in even if it was a bit hot at times.

My much less informative take on our parallel trip starts at http://birdingneversleeps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/03-june-2012-turkey-trip-day-1.html, see 3-9 June postings.

Although we saw a similar number of species to you there were some big differences in that we hardly saw any large raptors at all despite driving most of the 2200 kms we clocked in daylight - two Golden Eagles, just one Buzzard (a Common), no vultures, one Marsh Harrier and one Black Kite. Just as well they are not my favourites.

Best wishes, Richard

That is one tremendous report Paul, and extremely successful. Great photos too, both birds and scenery.

Without wishing to diss Turkey, do you think this route would be safe for a lone traveller in a vehicle?

Cracking trip report Paul. I'll be referring to it next time I go.

I've travelled in Turkey twice alone, using public transport, and not only did I not have any bother but after a couple of hours of being there didn't even consider it. Very friendly helpful people. I had to turn down a few lifts as they would have got me to destinations too quickly.

Cracking trip report Paul. I'll be referring to it next time I go.

Angus - many thanks.

Very enjoyable read Paul and I'm glad to see that Nick and I are the birders appearing to be looking at something in your tractor shot, although maybe we were the only ones to see you had your camera out:).

My much less informative take on our parallel trip starts at http://birdingneversleeps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/03-june-2012-turkey-trip-day-1.html, see 3-9 June postings.

Although we saw a similar number of species to you there were some big differences in that we hardly saw any large raptors at all despite driving most of the 2200 kms we clocked in daylight - two Golden Eagles, just one Buzzard (a Common), no vultures, one Marsh Harrier and one Black Kite. Just as well they are not my favourites.

Best wishes, Richard

Richard

Many thanks. Just caught up on your Blog - cracking photos. Particularly jealous of the singing White-throated Robin and the Iraq Babblers. Brilliant:-

http://birdingneversleeps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/04-june-2012-demirkazik.html

http://birdingneversleeps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/06-june-2012-birecik-and-durnalik.html

[The Hawkmoth in your photo is an as yet unidentified Willowherb-type. There was also a Striped Hawkmoth present as well as another species. Trying to identify it still.]

On the Demirkazik picture, I suspect our crew were simply quicker off the mark on the coffee! ;)

All the best

Last edited:
Great report and wonderful photos. I would add to the comments about the friendliness of the people in Turkey. I travelled on my own right round the country, including the Iraqi border area, and had no problems whatsoever.

Lots of great birds - and great pix - a top report.

There must be a market for a handheld sign in Turkish saying: "Please do not wash the car, as refusal to pay may cause offence"

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back