• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good birds seen from restaurants (1 Viewer)

I came back recently from my seventh holiday on the Canarian island of La Palma. I reached there on 21st November and, after checking into my hotel in Los Cancajos, I strolled along the road for a snack at a table outside a cafe called Mí Rincón. I saw 2 plain swifts over an escarpment just along the road, which pleased me, having "dipped" the species on my 2 previous visits, which were in January last year and this.

Not a bird but whilst having lunch at Shieldaig Bar and Coastal Kitchen in March, an Otter swam by on the Loch outside.

Rich

Last edited:
While my family was ordering lunch at the In-N-Out Burger in Kingman, Arizona on our way back to California from New Mexico last August, I saw several Great-tailed Grackles through the window. Not particularly notable except for being my first ones of the trip and my final addition to my Arizona state list thus far (#26, if you're wondering), but it combines a few of my favorite things (In-N-Out Burger and icterids), so I thought I'd throw it into the mix.

I didn't know much about birding then but while siting in a fish and chips restaurant I saw a white and red hawks with black bars on its wings and tail circling in the sky. Maybe a red shouldered hawk?

Hi Restaurant Birders

I've dipped into this thread on and off for years but never really had anything to contribute UNTIL NOW.

Earlier this year I went to Provence; in March. Top of the list of target species was Wallcreeper. Les Baux is a known winter location for this species but mid-March was pushing it.....was it too late? Nevertheless we made the attempt. This species winters at lower altitudes. We scanned the crags on the way, no luck and arriving at Les Baux we strolled up to the top, found there was a 6 Euro entrance fee to the citadel, decided to do it but went back to the car for the scope, got the scope and then decided to stop for coffee on this sunny morning. My husband wanted to sit inside as it was a little chilly; I said no let's sit outside. Happily drinking our coffee outside and scanning the crags with bins.....heyho presto a Wallcreeper! What luck! Husband gets on to it too and we watch it for about 5 minutes, really clear and nice views! Then it flies behind some trees out of site on another bit of crag. So we take to scanning elsewhere and see Alpine Accentor on a rooftop.

We continue on up to the citadel as planned, spend about half a day there looking for another glimpse of the Wallcreeper..............no luck, the cafe view was the only sighting we had.

Hi all
The website http://www.birdanddine.com/ is available for you all to check out.
We designed Bird & Dine to link good food and enjoyable eating and drinking with opportunities to view birds and other wildlife in spectacular locations - initially in the UK and Ireland.

We'd love to get your comments and suggestions.
To avoid clogging up this thread, please use the facilities on the website to comment.

Thanks!

The AncientBrit hasn't been back, but I notice that birdanddine.com now also includes places in Africa and North America.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who have contributed to this thread this year. I hope that the others won't mind me telling that I am particularly taken by joannec's sighting of the wallcreeper!

I have visited the Canarian island of La Palma 7 times over the last 15 years, spending a lot of time around the Visitors' Centre (Centro de Visitantes), which is by the highway between the tunnels through the Cumbre and the town of El Paso. The area is a major one for red-billed choughs, called grajas by the Palmeros, the locals. The choughs attract me back to the area time and time again, and the area is also good for other species, notably including Berthelot's pipits, which I saw on 6 out of 7 walks on my most recent holiday on La Palma.

On this most recent holiday on La Palma, late in 2014, I was pleased to find that the building behind the east bound bus stop had opened as a restaurant. Called Las Piedras de Taburiente, I twice had lunch there. Inside, the restaurant is well decorated, with scenes from the island and the local wildlife, including the grajas. There are 2 murals of what could be called folkloric representations of the landscapes of the island, again including flocks of grajas. Some poems about the island complement the wall decoration. To cap the experience, I could hear some of the grajas calling just outside as I ate.

We had a family holiday in Slovenia last month, staying the first 3 nights in Bled. One evening we had our meal at Vila Prešeren on the shore of Lake Bled, after dark, and heard the calls of 2 common sandpipers out over the lake. Not so rare, of course, but still pleasing to hear. Next morning, while we walked round the lake, I saw one of the sandpipers.

Last edited:
Another creeper!

I have just returned from a holiday in Norway. On the first evening, the 21st, I had a good meal in Champagneria Bodega, which is in the food hall called Mathallen Oslo. Glancing out of the window I saw a Eurasian treecreeper climbing a tree on the opposite bank of Akerselva, the river which runs towards the centre of the city. I know that this is not a rare species, but it is always a joy to actually see one. Indeed, although we have them in the Isle of Man, this century I have actually seen more short-toed treecreepers than the Eurasian species, with my holidays in Spain, especially.

On the 15 July 2015 whilst my wife and I were enjoying a carvery at The Passage House Inn on the River Teign I could see the Gull-billed Tern flying up and down the river. First time I have ever seen a BBRC rarity from inside a restaurant. Roger

Had another Bush Stone Curlew restaurant encounter the other day; this time in my street as a pair of them ran across the front verandah of the Chinese restaurant across the road from me a few nights ago.

Thanks, Jake, Roger and Tony.

On the evening of 24th July I flew from Oslo to Bodø, far to the north. After checking in to my hotel I went for a meal in a restaurant called Bryggerikaia. From my table I had a view over the Marina to the west. At one stage I noticed wild flying over the Marina - an arctic skua was harrying an arctic tern. That was my first arctic skua since seeing one on a whale watching trip off Dunsborough in SW Australia in November 2013.

If you ever do go to Bryggerikaia note that they serve whale on the menu, as many places unfortunately do in northern Norway. Me, I had fish and chips, which were excellent.

I'd forgotten about this thread . . but on 20 Nov 2013 I found Hong Kong's 13th Rustic Bunting while having lunch with a friend at Deepwater Bay Golf Course in Hong Kong.

I was sat at an outside table chatting with my friend Robin when a passerine I assumed was a sparrow popped up on top of a litter bin about 10 yards away. Then I realised it had a deep maroon breast band and a crest that was wafting around as it turned its head to look around and the disbelief gave way to confirmation that it could only be a Rustic Bunting.

Cheers
Mike

I was in Austria last week, staying in Lech in the far west of the country. The village is at about 1450 metres above sea level and is surrounded by mountains, so most routes are up. Last Wednesday, the 26th, I had my lunch at the Freiburger Hütte, which is near Formarinsee, and a nutcracker landed for a moment in a tree top near by. That was my first "lifer" while eating for a few years. Indeed, I saw another nutcracker while having lunch last Friday at the Körbersee Hütte, a several km walk from Oberlech, the higher part of the village. As well as the nutcracker I saw a citril finch while eating lunch on Friday. That was my first of those for several years. In between, last Thursday, I had lunch at the Ravensburger Hütte, on the way between Spullersee and the 2009 metres Stierlochjoch Pass. The ornithological highlight of that meal? A flock of about 60 Alpine choughs soared into view above the clifftop nearby.

This was my first trip to Austria, very enjoyable. It is true that the near perfect weather helped with trips and, thus, finding lots of good birds. I did stare through my binoculars at a few rock faces, but there is one species that I did not see!

Over the restaurant (doubles as home) yesterday had 2 lammies, some grifters, booted eagle, short toed eagle, 7 black kite....

Last edited:
Coral-billed Ground Cuckoo, coming to rice scraps at the camp ground restaurant in Khao Yai, Thailand.

On Little Tobago, Turnstones will come on to your table and take scraps from your hand.

At 'Backwoods camp' in Goa, we enticed a Sri Lankan Frogmouth in to the tree above us as we sat post dinner enjoying a brandy by the camp fire, does that count?

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back