• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St Ives, Cornwall, October 6th 2012. Apalling picture! (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hi all

This is a bit of a long shot. Someone has sent me the attached pic, taken on a phone, of a bird on St Ives Island on 6th October.

It was described only as "larger than a Wheatear" and "pale yellow all over with white on the wings when it flew". This person is a non-birder who has seen quite a few birds over the years when out and about with me, hence the slightly odd description. It flushed easily when she tried to get pictures, so this is the best one.

Scale is hard to detect from the picture, and there is almost no detail to my eye.....however, my best guess is perhaps an escaped canary, perhaps? Or is a partially albinistic/leucistic common wild bird? I'm not sure there is enough on the photo to get close to be honest.

Any ideas welcome.

Attachments

• bird St Ives 6th oct2012.jpg
    bird St Ives 6th oct2012.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 373
In my experience with non-birders/beginners the two principal misjudgements are:

Colour - especially "yellow" (typical eg: Corn Bunting)
and
Size - this gets everyone sometimes - today a friend called out Ring Ouzel when it was a silhouetted Dartford Warbler on top of a bush.

I'm not sure if this is a Snow Bunting but it looks like the best wild contender

[...] "pale yellow all over with white on the wings when it flew". This person is a non-birder who has seen quite a few birds over the years when out and about with me, hence the slightly odd description. [...]
I wouldn´t claim that, even yellow canaries are having white primaries:
http://www.oocities.org/visitccba/Canary12001.jpg
Not to mention yellow-mosaic or any other color variant.
http://www.kanarien-seite.de/gelb.htm

And who of your guys, who can see a canary in that photo, can rule out a lutino Greenfinch:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vogel1990/5265588979/lightbox/

IMHO, is the photo quality to bad for a positive ID.
Have seen too many finch mutations, mules and hybrids.

Last edited:
Hi all

This is a bit of a long shot. Someone has sent me the attached pic, taken on a phone, of a bird on St Ives Island on 6th October.

It was described only as "larger than a Wheatear" and "pale yellow all over with white on the wings when it flew".

It's a Squacco - beginners often completely misjudge size. ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back