• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Adventure (2 Viewers)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
We have just returned from a week in Cornwall, my first birding trip, although I visited many years ago with work. The main reason for going was Shearwaters, Many years ago on my very first Seawatch at Cley I saw two Cory's Shearwaters, much to the annoyance of one local who had been sea watching there for about 20 years and they were his first 2 :) !! My next Seawatch a couple of weeks later at Sheringham I saw another 2, with the assistance of very knowledgeable locals it must be said!! This is easy I thought, not seen any since!!! and never seen a Great Shearwater!! Indeed apart from a few Sootys from Flamborough head and a few Manxies and a couple of Balearics through Seaford I am very Shearwater light!!! Every year I see the big numbers going past Pendeen and Porthgwarra and think I really must go down there, so this year is the year, hurrah!!!! When I planned the trip I thought early to mid September would be the best time, turns out this year at any rate I was wrong with big numbers going through from July, through August, I watched the figures on Birdguides with despair and the windless weather forecast with equal trepidation, were we too late!!! Still we had to get there first, details of the journey down and a search for a rare Wagtail on Marazion Beach are the subjects of my first post on the blog at the link, I will build the suspension on the Shearwater front over the coming days, could be longer, as I've got thousands of pictures to get through!!! Anyway first post on the Blog at the link!! It's a bit Castle heavy, the other half loves em!! But plenty Bird pics at the end!!

559A5751.JPG

Day 2 from Cornwall, Choughs, Wheatears by the dozen, Wrynecks and some okish Seawatching the highlights! Lot more pics on the Blog at the link! Wondering if the Wheatear could be the Greenland Race?

559A7624.JPG

Day 3 in Cornwall, undoubted highlight was watching a shoal of Tuna leaping out of the water at Land's End, presumably feeding on bait fish, Lot's of Manx Shearwaters going through at Pendeen, couple may have been Balearics but the pics are "inconclusive" another close encounter with Choughs , But the big Shears and the Citrine continue to elude us!!! Anyone know which species the Tuna are likely to be, the pics are pretty rubbish so probably difficult to tell!! Lot more pics on the blog

559A9594.JPG

Day 4 of our Cornwall adventure, not many birds today as we spent most of it at the Eden Project, didn't really know much about it but a little strange on one hand very educational especially about the damage we are doing to the planet, Climate change, deforestation etc etc while on the other hand planting a large amount of Non-native plants in the Cornish Countryside!! We did visit Stithians Reservoir on the way home, where we had some quality Wader action, Spotshank, Wood Sandpiper and Little Stint among the highlights! Lots of pictures on the blog though most are flowers from the Eden Project, birds right at the end!!!

559A0175.JPG

So Day 5 back to full on birding, nothing particularly awesome, but good views of Kingfishers are always good and the usual coastal birds performed well!!! Interesting wandering around the old mines as they collapse back into the environment!! As ever more pics on the Blog at the link.

559A1057.JPG

Day 3 in Cornwall, undoubted highlight was watching a shoal of Tuna leaping out of the water at Land's End, presumably feeding on bait fish, Lot's of Manx Shearwaters going through at Pendeen, couple may have been Balearics but the pics are "inconclusive" another close encounter with Choughs , But the big Shears and the Citrine continue to elude us!!! Anyone know which species the Tuna are likely to be, the pics are pretty rubbish so probably difficult to tell!! Lot more pics on the blog

View attachment 1533421
Should be Atlantic Bluefin Tuna

Good stuff Paul - I loved the Choughs and Wheatears, and I reckon the Cornish Tourism Board owes you a commission.

Cheers
Mike
Yes be handy to pay for the extortionate, car parking charges :ROFLMAO: Only a couple of posts to go, heads up the next one should be the best!!!

So day six of our trip to Cornwall and one of the best days I have ever had, day out to Scilly on the Scillonian III, bearing in mind up to this point in 20 odd years birding I'd only ever seen 4 Cory's Shearwaters and never having seen a Great Shearwater I was slightly overwhelmed by the Shearfest on this trip, not sure how many Cory's there were but at least 40 and at least 7 views of Great Shearwater each way!! Fantastic, add on another possible armchair tick of Scopoli's Shearwater, hopefully will be accepted!! On top of that good if brief views of only my second Woodchat Shrike and I think you can say it was a hell of a day!! A lot more pics on the blog!

559A3164.JPG

559A3857.JPG

So day six of our trip to Cornwall and one of the best days I have ever had, day out to Scilly on the Scillonian III, bearing in mind up to this point in 20 odd years birding I'd only ever seen 4 Cory's Shearwaters and never having seen a Great Shearwater I was slightly overwhelmed by the Shearfest on this trip, not sure how many Cory's there were but at least 40 and at least 7 views of Great Shearwater each way!! Fantastic, add on another possible armchair tick of Scopoli's Shearwater, hopefully will be accepted!! On top of that good if brief views of only my second Woodchat Shrike and I think you can say it was a hell of a day!! A lot more pics on the blog!

View attachment 1534303

View attachment 1534304
Very nice photos! They must have posed for you.

What a fabulous day! and congratulations on getting pix of an absolute mega!
Thanks Mike, law of averages take pictures of anything that moves, bound to get lucky eventually!! It was a fantastic trip, especially as they were birds I've always wanted to see!! Would have been happy with a couple let alone the shearfest it was!!

Final day in Cornwall, Pectoral Sandpiper the highlight, I managed to hallucinate the Citrine Wagtail, I'd been after all week, probably the worse case of wishful thinking, mis-identification that even I've managed!! :rolleyes: More pics on the Blog at the link!

559A5935.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back