• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors in Rajasthan (1 Viewer)

cranefan

Hello all,

I have a few photos from my recent travels in India that I'm not quite sure about.

The first one was seen at Fatehpur Sikir, close to Agra. I think maybe Booted Eagle?

The next three are from Keoladeo National Park at Bharatpur - clearly a spotted eagle but I'm not sure between Greater and Indian. It had very thin, unfeathered tarsi and seems to have a longer gape than a Greater, but the habitat (marsh) would suggest Greater, which was also much more common there.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Booted Eagle.jpg
    Booted Eagle.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Spotted Eagle.jpg
    Spotted Eagle.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Spotted Eagle 2.jpg
    Spotted Eagle 2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 89
  • Spotted Eagle 3.jpg
    Spotted Eagle 3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 99
Thanks a lot! Maybe they weren't unfeathered tarsi, just looked it from a distance.

Also from Bharatpur are these shots of the same bird. My thoughts were Imperial Eagle, but my book isn't that helpful.

Attachments

• Imperial Eagle.jpg
    Imperial Eagle.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Imperial Eagle 2.jpg
    Imperial Eagle 2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Imperial Eagle 3.jpg
    Imperial Eagle 3.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Imperial Eagle 4.jpg
    Imperial Eagle 4.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 62
The last has unfeathered tarsi and is a juv. White-bellied Sea Eagle
The Spotted Eagle is unIDeable and first may well be a Tawny

Looks more like an imm Pallas' Sea eagle to my untrained eye - and is better for the general distribution in India being more common inland

I can't tell you much about these raptors... but I can tell you that none of them is a White-bellied Sea Eagle. These birds are quite familiar to me and is definitely not one.

Hello

I would suggest that 1st Eagle in flight is a Greater Spotted Eagle fluvescens ,sorry I did not opened the pics for my first review.

Omar

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back