• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk , Northern Greece (1 Viewer)

Although I agree it 'appears' big in this photo, I'm not convinced this isn't just a female Sparrowhawk.

It looks small-headed, with a very small bill for a Gos (the angle is not helping though).
Bodily it looks quite big, but is it really bulky enough for a Gos?
Also the barring on the thigh appears a little too well-spaced (might be on the borderline for an acceptable Gos, but more like SH IMO)

A difficult angle and the lighting isn't helping to discern the head markings, which also seem to lack the contrast you would expect to see in a typical Goshawk, and where is that piercing Goshawk eye?

Another image might help to sort this out for certain...(if there is one?) but for me it's probably a Sparrowhawk for the moment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 19.03.50.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 19.03.50.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 19.46.02.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 19.46.02.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Here some more pics!

Attachments

• Gos (1).jpg
    Gos (1).jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Gos (2).jpg
    Gos (2).jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Gos (3).jpg
    Gos (3).jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Gos (4).jpg
    Gos (4).jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 118
Ody,
The series of photos shows a bird with a yellow iris ( no.3 ). Perhaps you could comment on your experience with both species and what size you thought this bird was? Jackdaw or Common Buzzard size?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back