• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egret ID - Bahamas (1 Viewer)

fishercl

Christine
I was recently on San Salvador island in the Bahamas and took this shot of an Egret in a grassy area, foraging around for insects. It was definitely not a Great Egret (much smaller). I expect it is a Cattle Egret, but I'm not 100% sure. It doesn't look as hunched over as most Cattle Egrets look in the pictures that I've seen, and the billl looks a little longer than it should be. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• EgretBahamas_MG_6129.jpg
    EgretBahamas_MG_6129.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 88
With you on non-breeding Cattle Egret - black legs, yellow bill, comparitively (to Great Egret) short bill, and habitat. Egrets can look very different when they stretch out their necks.

EDIT: If you don't have a guide for the West Indies, might I suggest Raffaele et al's Birds of the West Indies - it's the best for the region, though not descriptive enough for me, but it covers all the possible birds and accompanied with Sibley for reference you can't go wrong!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back