• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon image stabilized binoculars (1 Viewer)

Geoff Brown

One or two people have been bringing and using Canon image stabilising binoculars to the "Full Monty" aren't bird brilliant watchpoint at RSPB Frampton Marsh and I've had a look through them when I get the chance. It is amazing to see the wobbling field of view snap into a very sharp still image when you press the button to activate. The downside is that the large magnification models are quite heavy and you would not want to hold them up to your face for very long. Most owners also say they tend to eat up batteries. I tried the 10X 30 model at the Birdfair on Friday and it didn't seem too heavy or bulky. As above, when the button was pressed the image instantly became quite still and smooth so it shows how shaky my hand holding has become ( old age creeping in!). The weather was deteriorating as well but the view was still quite bright through them.
The outcome has been that when I got home I wrote to Ace Optics of Bath to order the 10 X 30 version and enclosed my Birdfair ticket for a refund because during August only they are refunding Birdfair ticket admission charge on any purchase from them over £99. You can't have too many bins!! :eat:

I agonised for ages over the choice between 12X and 15X, went for the 15X and still wondered if I should have settled for the other! However, the first time I went to Pagham I was pleased that I chose the 15X. They are a bit heavy - just had them on the kitchen scales (1.12kg, 2lb 7½oz), but I'm still very pleased with them after more than 5 years. An elderly uncle sent me £1000, and told me to treat myself - so I did as I was told!!!

I don't have a problem with the batteries - I use NiMH rechargeables.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
I agonised for ages over the choice between 12X and 15X, went for the 15X and still wondered if I should have settled for the other! However, the first time I went to Pagham I was pleased that I chose the 15X. They are a bit heavy - just had them on the kitchen scales (1.12kg, 2lb 7½oz), but I'm still very pleased with them after more than 5 years. An elderly uncle sent me £1000, and told me to treat myself - so I did as I was told!!!

I don't have a problem with the batteries - I use NiMH rechargeables.
Good Idea Elizabeth. I'll have to ransack the house now to find my very old battery charger. When I suddenly require something like that again I can never lay my hands on the item. Bet I don't find it! :C

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back