• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

adult White winger - Nottinghamshire, England (1 Viewer)

Dean Nicholson

Cloacal Protuberant.
The attached was at Cotham Tip for a short time yesterday, initial thoughts were of a Glauc but on seeing it in profile i was concerned by the long primary projection and also by the extensive red around the gonys...... in flight (which was more Iceland-like than Glauc-like due to long thin wings) there was no traces of black/grey in the tail or primaries which turned me away from Herring influence despite it having a very Herringy jizz.
I forwarded a few pics around for further comment when i got home and received a rather unhelpful (but perhaps unsurprising) mixed bag of answers from Herring Gull to Viking Gull to small female Glauc!
I'm pretty open minded about it but the fact i wanted a second opinion must mean there is something perhaps not quite right with it....

And do we actually get the Alaskan form barrovianus over here? any ringing records? as that would seem to fit, certainly in terms of structure and mantle tone (ie close to argenteus HG or B-H Gull).

Cheers
Dean

Attachments

• DSC02927 (800x607).jpg
    DSC02927 (800x607).jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC02929 (800x599).jpg
    DSC02929 (800x599).jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC02932 (800x625).jpg
    DSC02932 (800x625).jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC02934 (800x599).jpg
    DSC02934 (800x599).jpg
    325 KB · Views: 97
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back